Monday 5 October 2020

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME (5) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME


EXERCISE 11. Simple past: Irregular verbs.

Directions: Complete each sentence with the simple past of any irregular verb that makes sense. There may be more than one possible completion.

1

Alex hurt his finger when he was fixing his dinner last night. He accidentally ________ it with a sharp knife.

2

I don't have any money in my pocket. I ________ it all yesterday. I'm flat broke

3

Ann didn't throw her old shoes away. She ________ them because they ________ comfortable.

4

1 ________ an interesting article in the newspaper yesterday.

5

Jack ________ his pocketknife at the park yesterday. This morning he ________ back to the park to look for it. Finally, he ________ it in the grass. He was glad to have it back.

6

Mr. Litovchenko was very happy but a little nervous when he ________ his baby in his arms for the first time.

7

I ________ Jennifer's parents when they visited her. She introduced me to them.

8

A: Is Natasha still angry with you?

B: No, she ________ me for what I did, and she's speaking to me again.

9

I dropped my favorite vase. It fell on the floor and ________ into a hundred pieces.

10

When I went shopping yesterday, I ________ some light bulbs and a cooking pot.

11

The soldiers ________ the battle through the night and into the morning.

12

I used to have a camera, but I ________ it because I needed the money.

13

Jane didn't want anyone to find her diary, so she ________ it in a shoe box in her closet.

14

I didn't want anyone else to see the note, so I ________ it into tiny pieces and ________ them in the wastebasket.

15

The children ________ pictures of themselves in art class yesterday.

16

I have a cold. Yesterday I ________ terrible, but I'm feeling better today.

17

Last night I ________ a strange noise in the house around 2:00A.M., so I ________ up to investigate.

18

Sam ran the fastest, so he ________ the race.

19

My dog isn’t very friendly. Yesterday she ________ my neighbor's leg. Luckily, my dog is very old and doesn't have sharp teeth, so she didn't hurt my neighbor.

20

Steve ________ on the campfire to make it burn.

21

When I went fishing yesterday, I ________ a fish right away. But the fish was too small to keep. I carefully returned it to the water. It quickly ________ away.

22

Amanda ________ a lie. I didn't believe her because I ________ the truth.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments