Tuesday 6 October 2020

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME (9) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME

EXERCISE 19. Present and past verbs. (Chapters 1 and 2)

Directions: Complete the sentences with the simple present, present progressive, simple past, or past progressive.

PART I. PRESENT TIME

SITUATION

Right now Toshi (sit) __________ is sitting _______ (1) at his desk. He (study) _______________ (2) his grammar book. His roommate, Oscar, (sit) _______________ (3) at his desk, but he (study, not) _______________ (4). He (stare) _______________ (5) out the window. Toshi (want) _______________ (6) to know what Oscar (look) _______________ (7) at.

 

TOSHI:

Oscar, what (you, look) _______________ (8) at?

OSCAR:

I (watch) _______________ (9) the bicyclists. They are very skillful. I (know, not) _______________ (10) how to ride a bike, so I (admire) _______________ (11) anyone who can. Come over to the window. Look at that guy in the blue shirt. He (steer) _______________ (12) his bike with one hand while he (drink) _______________ (13) a soda with the other. At the same time, he (weave) _______________ (14) in and out of the heavy street traffic. He (seem) _______________ (15) fearless.

TOSHI:

Riding a bike (be, not) _______________ (16) as hard as it (look) _______________ (17) I'll teach you to ride a bicycle if you'd like.

OSCAR:

Really? Great!

TOSHI:

How come you don't know how to ride a bike?*

OSCAR:

I (have, never) _______________ (18) a bike when I (be) _______________ (19) a kid. My family (be) _______________ (20) too poor. Once I (try) _______________ (21) to learn on the bike of one of my friends, but the other kids all (laugh) _______________ (22) at me. I never (try) _______________ (23) again because I (be) _______________ (24) too embarrassed. But I'd really like to learn now! When can we start?


PART II. PAST TIME

Yesterday, Toshi (sit) ______ was sitting _________ (25) at his desk and (study) _______________ (26) his grammar book. His roommate, Oscar, (sit) _______________ (27) at his desk, but he (study, not) _______________ (28). He (stare) _______________ (29) out the window. He (watch) _______________ (30) bicyclists on the street below.

Toshi (walk) _______________ (31)  over to the window. Oscar (point) _______________ (32) out one bicyclist in particular. This bicyclist (steer) _______________ (33) with one hand while he (drink) _______________ (34) a soda with the other. At the same time, he (weave) _______________ (35) in and out of the heavy traffic. To Oscar, the bicyclist (seem) _______________ (36) fearless.

Oscar (learn, never) _______________ (37) how to ride a bike when he (be) _______________ (38) a child, so Toshi (offer) _______________ (39) to teach him. Oscar (accept) _______________ (40) gladly.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments