Wednesday 30 January 2019

FCE Practice Test Plus 1 Test 5 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 1


FCE Practice Test Plus 1
Test 5 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 1


You are going to read an article about a man who went on a training course for rangers in
a wildlife reserve in Africa. Choose from the list A-I the sentence which best summarises
each part (1-7) of the article. There is one extra sentence which you do not need to use.
There is an example at the beginning (O).

Mark your answers on the separate answer sheet.

A
This is the situation the professionals fear.
E
This was an opportunity to see the wider picture.
B
This is a realistic assessment of the situation.
F
This was an unexpected achievement.

C
This was a good opportunity to sample certain conditions.
G
This is why it's important to keep your distance.
D
This was a chance to share the experiences of others.
H
This was a mistake not to be repeated.



I
This was an essential skill to master.


RANGER TRAINING
Mark Thompson went to one of Africa's top wildlife reserves to take part in a training course for park rangers.
0
I
As the buffalo charged towards me, I raised the rifle to my shoulder, tried to steady my arm, took aim and fired. The bullet hit it square in the chest, saving us from the dangerous
attack, or least it would have done if this had been for real. The hole in the paper target was proof of that. I was in Africa to learn some of the skills that a park ranger requires and, although I have no love of guns, knowing how and when to shoot is a must.
1

We were practising using real guns and bullets in the safety of a dried-up river bed, under the instruction of a real park ranger called Rick. 'Animals have a flight zone and a fight
zone,' he explained. 'Get up close to them and they will run away, but at a certain point, if you get too dose, they will turn and fight.'
2

Apparently the danger when travelling is that you might suddenly come across an animal unexpectedly and surprise it, and buffaloes are the ones that scare the rangers most. 'Elephants usually stop short when they charge, but the buffalo just keeps on going, you have to shoot,' Rick warned us
3

Rick gave out such pieces of useful, common-sense advice at regular intervals. 'Don't stray too far from the camp,' he warned us. I looked around at the four large tents and ring of stones that marked the campfire under a great marula tree. Whilst all the holidaymakers in the safari lodge enjoyed hotel-style comforts, we had oil lamps and showered under bucket which was suspended from a tree. But I wasn't tempted to swap the simplicity of the camp for a hotel room, because in the camp I really felt a part of the bush.
4

'One night a pride of lions came into the camp after we had gone to bed,' Michael from Chicago told me. He was one of a party from the USA who were making a return visit to the camp. The four of us on the ranger training course listened avidly to their tales from the wild side. 'The cubs were playing with the tent ropes.' As he continued, I made a mental note to sleep with my gun next to me.
5

Soon I was in the mood for some adventures of my own. The days ahead were divided between lessons in ranger skills, and excursions into the bush. These tours, made either on foot or by four-wheel drive vehicle, began at the crack of dawn. They provided an opportunity not only to take in (he wide variety of wildlife on the reserve, but also to gain an understanding
of the whole ecosystem and the role of the ranger in that.
6

Although I doubt if 1'11ever be ready for a lone stroll across lion country, the course has at least increased my chances of survival. One afternoon, Rick let me take the wheel of the jeep and use my usually dreadful sense of direction to find our way back to camp. To my great astonishment I managed it, and realised that I was starting to mal« some sense of the landscape that had at first all looked the same
7

I had also learned that only a handful of dedicated and skilled individuals can really make it as a true professional in this business. What was called a ranger training course was really a lesson in ranger appreciation. There was no way that any of us would ever come close to being ready to take on any of their duties for real.


ANSWER KEY
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
G
A
C
D
E
F
B


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments