Friday 11 February 2022

51. SLEEP CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

51. SLEEP

 

A. What’s the opposite of these expressions?

Choose from these adjectives:

sweet

light

heavy

wide

1

a light sleeper/ a _____________ sleeper

2

fast asleep/ _____________ awake

3

a deep sleep/ a _____________ sleep

4

bad dreams/ _____________ dreams

 

B. All the expressions are natural collocations, but which one of each three is not suitable for the situation?

5

You look worn out! You should ____________.

a

go to sleep

b

get an early night

c

get some sleep

6

I was just ____________ in front of a boring movie when you called.

a

nodding off

b

dropping off

c

going to sleep

7

A: I’m off to bed now. I can hardly keep my eyes open!

B: ____________.

a

Don’t wake up!

b

Sleep well!

c

Sweet dreams!

8

I don’t think I can stay awake any longer. I’m going to ____________ now.

a

turn in for the night

b

go straight to bed

c

sleep heavily

9

A: You look bright-eyed and bushy tailed! Did you sleep OK?

B: Yes, thanks! ____________ last night.

a

had a nap

b

slept like a log

c

was dead to the world

10

A: Are you OK? You don’t seem able to stop yawning today!

B: I ____________ last night.

a

woke up with a start

b

had a sleepless night

c

had a bad night

 

C. Which are the most natural-sounding answers?

11

Don’t drive or operate machinery while taking this medicine as it may make/send you drowsy.

12

Don’t turn the music up too loud – Jim’s making/ having a catnap.

13

I woke up with a start and then I couldn’t get/fall back to sleep again.

14

I dreamt/ had a nightmare about zombies last night.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 50 LIGHT

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments