Thursday 24 February 2022

59. TRUTH AND LIES CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

59. TRUTH AND LIES

 

A. Choose the most suitable words from the box.

honesty

deception

excuse

truth

lies

word

the facts

1

In all _______________, I don’t think we can finish the building job in time.

2

I don’t believe a word of it. It’s a pack of _______________.

3

i think you should stick to ________________ I’m not interested in your guesswork.

4

He was famous for practicing ________________ on elderly ladies.

5

We only have his ________________ for it, and it doesn’t seem likely to me.

6

Do you think there’s any ________________ in his story or is he making it all up?

7

I don’t want to go to the party, so I’ll make up some ________________ or other.

 

B. Correct the mistakes in these expressions.

Example:

He said me a lie

He told me a lie

8

To tell the true, I don’t know.

___________________________

9

I’ll take your words for it.

___________________________

10

To be honestly, I don’t like it.

___________________________

11

The truth will come in eventually.

___________________________

 

C. Which are the most-natural-sounding answers?

12

He told me he was a multi-millionaire. I can’t believe I accepted/ fell for it!

13

I can’t honestly/ truly say that I know anything about the subject.

14

She gave me her solemn promise/ true word that she’d give me back the money tomorrow.

15

She’s a pathological liar/ compulsive deceiver and I wouldn’t trust/ believe her further than I could throw her.

16

He was a conman who obtained loans under/ with false preferences.

17

There’s an element/ aspect of truth to the story, but it’s been blown up out of all proportion.

18

You told me you’d finished but it was an absolute/ a barefaced lie!

19

This isn’t going to work – trust me on this/ for this.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 58 SPEAKING

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments