Thursday 17 September 2020

Sport ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS IN USE (ADVANCED)


ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS IN USE (ADVANCED)
UNIT 27
Sport

A
Sports training

Read this blog entry by a professional swimmer trying out a new training camp.

<  >
CURRENT ARTICLES
ARCHIEVE
ABOUT
PHOTOS
CONTACT
It’s week two of our training programme here in the New Zealand training camp. We’ve had the chance to do1 several extreme sports like white-water rafting and rock climbing. I’ve also acquired quite a taste for2 snowboarding. I didn’t like it much at first – I found it really hard to keep my balance. But my instructor said she was sure I’d get the hang of it3 in a couple of hours, so I decided to take up the challenge and, sure enough, I mastered it. I thought I was pretty fit4 but I’m really having to push myself to the limits5 to be able to cope. I’m so shattered at night that it only takes me about two seconds to fall into a deep sleep. Anyway, despite the tiredness, I’m having a whale of a time6. Anybody would jump at the chance7 to try out some of these sports, I’m sure. Must go to bed now to summon up the energy for tomorrow. Let’s hope all this will help me keep in shape8 for the next swimming tournament!







1 NOT make
2 begun to enjoy
3 (informal) become able to do something
4 (informal) fairly fit
5 make a considerable effort
6 (informal) having a fantastic time
7 (informal) really like to do something
8 stay in good physical condition
B
Sports news

The mood amongst the crowd reached fever pitch1 at yesterday’s match between India and Pakistan. In the last few minutes of the game Khan played brilliantly and secured a convincing victory for Pakistan.
In the cricket match between Australia and South Africa the score currently stands at 65 for 3 wickets. We’ll bring you the latest scores on the hour, every hour.
The teams took the field2 to the applause of 40,000 spectators. Despite putting up a determined performance, the England team seemed unable to break through the formidable Italian defence. Aft er some impressive tackles, Italy was awarded a penalty just before half time. The penalty was missed, much to the delight of ...
Yesterday’s match was full of excitement with three players being given yellow cards and some controversial free kicks. The game was lost when the Blues scored an own goal3 in the last two minutes. The crowd went wild4.

1 became very excited/agitated
2 went on the pitch
3 scored a goal in error against their own team
4 became crazy with excitement (can also be used for other emotions, such as rage)

Tip

Listen to commentaries in English relating to a sport that interests you and find a website dedicated to that sport. Note down any collocations about the sport that you notice being frequently used. You may find this website useful: www.bbc.com/sport.

EXERCISES

27.1
Look at A. Choose the correct collocation.

1 I’m finding it hard to summon up / acquire / reach the energy to do anything much in the evenings these days. 2 Have you ever tried any formidable / fever / extreme sports?
3 I didn’t realise how difficult the marathon would be when I originally took / had / got up the challenge.
4 I don’t think I could ever acquire / educate / achieve a taste for bungee jumping.
5 I’d rise / jump / take at the chance of a trip to Venice if I were offered one!
6 It won’t take you long to get the balance / taste / hang of cross-country skiing as you’re such an experienced downhill skier.
27.2
Complete each sentence using a word from the page opposite.

1 Don’t ______________ yourself to the limits now. Conserve some strength for later on.
2 I’m having a ______________ of a time learning how to surf, though I find it almost impossible to ______________ my balance.
3 I’ve just heard the ______________ scores. Italy’s winning and excitement’s reaching fever______________.
4 The score in the rugby match currently ______________ at 27 to 5 and France looks set to win a convincing ______________.
5 You must try harder to keep in ______________ over the winter. You could walk to work instead of going by bus, for example.
6 John Shane was given a yellow ______________ for performing an illegal tackle on an opponent.
7 The captain took the free ______________ and it reached Jobbs, who instantly scored.
8 Fortunately for Wales, Scotland ______________ every penalty that they were ______________ during the match.
9 When the headteacher offered a prize to the pupils who built the best raft over the holidays, children from every class decided to take up the ______________.
27.3
Rewrite each sentence using the word in brackets.

1 I’d love to meet Usain Bolt, wouldn’t you? (JUMP)
2 The spectators stood and clapped as the teams went on to the pitch. (TOOK)
3 You should only attempt this climb if you have a reasonable level of fitness. (PRETTY)
4 The crowd was extremely excited at the end of the match. (WILD)
5 We very much enjoyed our time in Australia. (WHALE)
6 I decided to be brave and start my own business. (CHALLENGE)
7 The little boy soon learnt how to ride his bike without stabilisers. (HANG)
8 The team captain felt dreadful when he kicked the ball into his team’s goal. (OWN)
27.4
Complete each sentence using the word in brackets in the appropriate form.

1 I get the ____________ football scores sent through to my mobile. (LATE)
2 The home team won a____________  victory. (CONVINCE)
3 Our team put up an excellent ____________. (PERFORM)
4 It took some time before our team succeeded in breaking through the Reds’ ____________ and scoring our first goal. (DEFEND)
5 After being ____________ a penalty, the player scored the winning goal. (AWARD)



ANSWER KEY

27.1
1 summon up
2 extreme
3 took
4 acquire
5 jump
6 hang

27.2
1 push
2 whale; keep
3 latest; pitch
4 stands; victory
5 shape
6 card
7 kick
8 missed; awarded
9 challenge

27.3
1 I’d jump at the chance to meet Usain Bolt, wouldn’t you?
2 The spectators stood and clapped as the teams took the field.
3 You should only attempt this climb if you are pretty fit.
4 The crowd went wild at the end of the match.
5 We had a whale of a time in Australia.
6 I decided to take up the challenge and start my own business / of starting my own business.
7 The little boy soon got the hang of riding his bike without stabilisers.
8 The team captain felt dreadful when he scored an own goal.

27.4
1 latest
2 convincing
3 performance
4 defence
5 awarded

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments