Thursday 6 January 2022

30. TELEPHONES CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

30. TELEPHONES

 

A. Choose the correct word.

1

The line’s engaged/taken. I’ve been trying to connect/ get through all morning.

2

Can I ring you again/ call you back? The signal is breaking up/ breaking down.

3

Why don’t you ring/ telephone her up to see how she’s getting on?

4

I’m sorry but Sheila’s not at the office at the moment. Can I pass/ take a message for you?

5

I phoned Dave three times yesterday but he hasn’t returned my calls/ answered my rings.

6

Hey, Steve, there’s someone on the phone/ a phone-caller for you.

7

Your phone has got a really annoying ring/ ringing tone. Can’t you charge it?

8

Can I give you my home/ at home phone number in case you need to get in touch over the weekend?

 

B. Choose the most suitable word from the box.

1

Excuse me a moment – I need to make a phone _____________.

2

I tried to phone you last night but the _____________ was busy.

3

Phil tried to talk to her, but she just slammed the _____________ down.

4

No, sorry. I think you’ve got the wrong _____________.

5

I tried to phone the company to complain but they put me on _____________ for ten minutes.

6

I’ll send you a text _____________.

7

I left a message on Simon’s _____________.

8

My mobile’s got a low _____________, so I’ll call you later.


 

C. Which of these expressions is not a natural collocation?

1

mobile/ pay/ house/ public phone

2

dial/ telephone/ ring/ call a number

3

leave/ hold/ take/ send a message

4

put through/ miss/ ring/ take a call

5

phone call/ box/ tone/ number

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 29 COMPUTERS

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments