Sunday 9 January 2022

34. MUSIC AND DANCE CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

34. MUSIC AND DANCE

 

A. Choose the most appropriate words from the box. Other collocations are in bold type.

note

words

tune

voice

choir

albums

career

1

He started singing in the church ________________ when he was eight and he had a beautiful ________________.

2

What’s that ________________ you’re whistling? It sounds vaguely familiar.

3

I’ve got a piano but I can’t play a ________________!

4

Sing along if you know the ________________!

5

She recorded three best-selling ________________ and her singing ________________ is going from strength to strength.

 

B. Which is the most natural-sounding answer?

6

Sing if you must, but please try not to sing out of tune/ off the tune.

7

When I was eleven I learnt the violin but I didn’t train/ practice very often.

8

Just hum the tune if you don’t know the words/ lyrics.

9

I’m a terrible/ horrible dancer because I’ve got no sense of beat/ rhythm.

10

Dan was tapping his feet to the beat/ tempo of the music.

11

The violinist gave/ made a very moving performance.

12

The band are planning to go on/ take a tour in the spring.

13

Joanne has a good ear/ sense for music and she can pick out a tune/ harmony on the piano after hearing it only once.

14

I’m learning to dance the tango/ tango, but I can’t find a dance companion/ partner.

15

I don’t like musicals because every five minutes someone explodes/ bursts into song.

16

My son’s taken/ started up the saxophone, but he’s not very talented/ good at it yet.

 

C. Match the two parts of the sentences.

17

He’s a gifted musician with perfect

a

roll.

18

I’ve always been interested in rhythm and

b

beat.

19

The song has a simple

c

blues.

20

It’s a track with a very strong

d

pitch.

21

The 1950s saw the emergence of rock and …

e

melody.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 33 THEATRE

ANSWER KEY


               

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments