Friday 24 June 2022

FUTURE TRENDS (A) ENGLISH FOR AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY

 

ENGLISH FOR AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY

8. FUTURE TRENDS (A)

 

Starter

How future-oriented are you? Do this quiz and find out.

1

The car will be able to make more intelligent driving decisions than a human can.

a

This is true and the result will be fewer accidents.

b

Surely there are times when people are more intelligent than machines.

c

Driving will be no fun if I can’t think for myself.

2

There will be no more switches, only voice control?

a

Great! You don’t need to look at the dashboard any more.

b

Some voice control is OK, but I still want some switches.

c

I prefer switches.

3

The car will be made of self-cleaning materials.

a

No ore wasting time at the car wash! This is also good for recycling.

b

Aren’t we going to become very lazy?

c

But I want to clean my car! I really enjoy it.

4

Joysticks will replace steering wheels.

a

This is something new and sounds like fun.

b

This could be OK, but it will take me a long time to get used to it.

c

You only need one hand for a joystick. I like having both hands on the steering wheel.

5

Sensors in the car will prevent accidents.

a

This means I can really depend on my car.

b

I would like to turn the sensors on and off when I want.

c

What happens if the sensors don’t work?

6

Most of the tasks you do in your office you’ll be able to do in your car.

a

This means I won’t waste any time on business trips.

b

I’m not sure if I want to think about work all the time.

c

My car is for fun and relaxing not for work!


1. Read the text about the car of the future. Which of the technical features described are already present in cars today, and which still have to be developed? Make a list.

THE CAR OF THE FUTURE


Are these sentences about the text true () or false (X)?

1

You’ll still need a key to open the car door.

 

2

You’ll no longer have a steering wheel.

 

3

Sensors in the dashboard will measure your blood pressure.

 

4

You won’t be able to fall asleep while driving.

 

5

You won’t need to read traffic signs any more.

 

6

You’ll need good parking skills.

 

 

2. Find words and expressions in the text which match these definitions:

1

Spoken instructions to the car

2

Possible problems

3

A recognition system which stops your car from hitting another car

4

Slightly sleepy

5

Congested roads

6

A list of all your appointments for the day

7

Fines for driving too fast

8

People on foot

 CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS UNIT

ANSWER KEY


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments