Saturday 4 July 2015

EVERYDAY ENGLISH; HAVE/HAD/HAD




A.      What can you have
 You can ….
1           1. Have lunch
2         2. Have a party
3                       3.      Have a lesson
4         4. Have a cup of tea/coffee
5           5. Have a shower
B.      Other things you can have
l           Lunch, dinner, breakfast, a meal, something to eat
2         A party, a meeting, a competition, a game (of football/chess/cards)
3                  A lesson, an exam, homework, an appointment (with the dentist)
4         Tea/coffee, a drink, a sandwich, an ice-cream, some cheese
5         A shower, a bath, a swim, a sauna
C.      Expressions with have
Is that your camera? Can I havea look? (=look at it)
Is that your bicycle? Can I have a go? (=ride it)
Goodbye! Have a good journey! (=somebody is going away)
Do you have a moment? (=have some time) Can I have a word with you? (=speak to you)
We always have a good time in our English lessons (=Fun; we enjoy them)
I am going to have my hair cut. See you later. Can you meet me at the hairdresser’s?
I want to learn ski but I don’t have time.
D.     Have + got (speaking/informal) = have (writing/formal)
I’ve got three sisters. Have you got any brothers and sisters?
My house is big. It’s got five bedrooms and three bathrooms.
We’ve got ten minutes before the train goes.
Have you got a pen?
(in a shop) A: Do you sell postcards? B: yes, but we haven’t got any at the moment.
I’ve got a problem. Can I have a word with you?
I’ve got a cold/a headache.
E.       Have to
We use have to when the situation means you must do something. The museum’s not free. You have to pay $10 to go in. all students have to do the exam. I haven’t got a car, so I have to walk to school every day.

EXERCISES
1.1.      Fill in the gaps in the sentences. Use words from A and B above
1.      I always have ….. and ……. For breakfast
2.      I have an ….. with the dentist at 3 o’clock.
3.      Do you want to have a game of ….. ?
4.      Jane’s havinf a …… on Saturday. Are you going?
5.      Do you want to have a …….. ? The bathroom’s just here.
6.      I have an …. Tomorrrow, so I have to study tonight.
7.      We must have a …… to talk about these problems.
8.      I’m going to the cafetaria to have a ……… Do you want to come?
9.      The hotel has a swimming pool, so we can have a …… every day.
10.  We can have …. Before the film, or we can eat after it.
1.2.      Answer the questions about yourself.
1.      Have you got any brothers or sisters?
2.      What time do you have English lessons?
3.      What time do you have for lunch?
4.      Do you have to go to lessons every day?
5.      How many pens have you got with you now?
6.      Do you always have a party on your birthday?
7.      What do you usually have when you go to a restaurant?
1.3.      Do the crossword

 
Across
1. You have it in a restaurant
3. People often have one on their birthday.
5. Do you want to have a ….. of tennis?
Down
2. You have it at school or university
4. If you don’t like coffee, you can have …..?
1.4.      What do you say?
1.      (Someone is thirsty) Why don’t you have…..?
2.      (someone is going away) Bye! Have a ……?
3.      (someone sneezes and has a red nose) Oh! Have you got a ….?
4.      (someone has a new camera) Can I have …… ?


ANSWER KEY
1.1.            POSSIBLE ANSWERS
1.1      1.      Coffee/tea/juice…… toast/bread/fruit/an egg
2.      An appointment
3.      Tennis/squash/rugby/darts/football/chess/cards
4.      Party
5.      Shower/bath/wash
6.      Exam
7.      meeting
8.      Coffee/cup of tea/drink/sandwich
9.      Swim
10.  Dinner/supper/a meal/something to eat

1.2.            POSSIBLE ANSWERS

1.2.     1.      I’ve got one brother and two sisters
2.      I have them at 9.30
3.      I have a sandwich and a cup of tea
4.      No, I have to go on Wednesday and Friday
5.      I’ve got two
6.      Yes, I always have a party
7.      I usually have pasta or fish

1.3.          1.3,              Across
1. Meal
3. Party
5. Game
Down
2. Exam
4. Tea

1.4.            1.4       POSSIBLE ANSWERS
1.      Why don’t you have a drink/some water/a cup of tea?
2.      Bye! Have a good time! Or Have a good journey!
3.      Oh! Have you got a cold?
4.      Is that new? Can I have a look?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments