Monday 13 July 2015

WORDS YOU MAY CONFUSE (EVERYDAY ENGLISH)



A.Similar sounds
Quite/ quiet
This book is quite good (bad – quite good – good)
My bedroom is very quiet. (silent/ no noise)
Lose/ loose
A: Why do I always lose my keys?
B: Here they are.
A: Oh, thank you!
If you lose something, you don’t know where it is/ you can’t find it.
These trousers are very loose. (loose means they are not tight, because they are too big)
Fell/ felt
Fell is from fall/ fell/ fallen.
Yesterday I fell and broke my arm.
Felt is from feel/ felt/ felt.
I felt ill yesterday, but I feel OK today.
Cooker/ cook
This cooker costs $500. (the thing you cook on)
He is a very good cook. (the person eho cooks) 

B.Similar or related meanings
Lend/ borrow
If you lend something, you give it.
If you borrow something, you get it.
Sam wants a bicycle:
Sam: Will you lend me your bicycle? (you give it to me for one day/ an hour) or Can I borrow your bicycle? (I get it from you)
Rita: Yes, take it.
Sam: Thanks
Check/ control
The passport officer checked my passport (looked at it)
The mouse controls the computer (tells what to do)

C. Other words often mixed up
In English the afternoon is from about 12 o’clock till 5 or 6 p.m.
The evening is from 5 or 6 p.m. until about 9 or 10 p.m.
After 9 or 10 p.m. it is the night.
They are waiting for the bus.
I hope I pass my exams ( I really want to pass)
I have not studies. I expect I’ll fail my exams (it’s probable).

EXERCISES
1.1.Fill the gaps with words from A opposite. The first letter is given.
1.Please be quite. The baby is sleeping.
2.If you l …….. your passport you must call the Embassy.
3.I f……. … tired this morning, but I am OK now.
4.We are going to buy a c…….. for our new kitchen.
5.She f…….. and broke her leg. She had to go to hospital.
6.It’s q……. cold today.
7.These shoes are very l……… I need smaller ones.
8.My sister is a good c……… I love eating at her house.

1.2.Answer these questions.
1.What does a mouse do to a computer? It controls it.
2.What does the passport officer do to your passport? He/she ………
3.If you want to use someone’s camera for two hours, what do you say? Can I ………..
4.What do you say to someone at 3 p.m.?  Good …….
5.What do people do at a bus stop? They………
6.What do you say to friend if you need $1 for the phone? Can you……
7.What do you say if someone makes too much noise? Please be …..

1.3.Anwer these questions for yourself.
1.Are you expecting any visitors today?
2.What do you hope to do with this book?
3.Do you borrow things from your friends?

KEY
1.1
2.Lose
3.Felt
4.Cooker
5.Fell
6.Quite
7.Loose
8.Cook

1.2
2..He/ she checks it.
3.Can I borrow your camera?
4.Good afternoon
5.They wait for the bus
6.Can you lend me $1 for the phone
7.Please be quiet

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments