Sunday 19 July 2015

TALKING (EVERYDAY ENGLISH)



A.Say (say/ said/ said)

We use say when we report someone’s words.
She said ‘This is horrible!’
He said that he wanted a drink.
We use say when we ask about language.
A: How do you say ‘book’ in Spanish?
B: ‘Libro’
We say hello/ goodbye              please/ thank you
Happy Birthday/ Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year/ Congratulations

B.Tell (tell/ told/ told)
Tell is usually followed immediately by a person. Say is not followed immediately by a person.
He told me his name. (Not He said me his name)
We use tell when we want to know how to get to a place.
Can you tell me where the bus station is, please? (NOT Can you say me….?)
We use tell with other wh-words too (when, how, why, where), e.g. you can tell someone how to do something, where something is, why something happened.
He told me how to send a fax. Tell me when you want to have dinner.
You can tell someone the time/ a story/ a joke/ your name/ address/ telephone number.
C.Ask
Ask is used for questions.
My sister asked me where I was going. (or My sister asked (me) ‘Where are you going?’)
A: Can I ask you a question?
B: Yes
A: What day of the week were you born?
B: Thursday.
You can ask someone the way/ the time/ a question.
Ask somebody to do something and ask someone for something.
I asked him to turn off his radio.( or I said ‘Please turn off your radio.’)
She asked for the bill. (or She said ‘Can I have the bill please?’)
D.Speak/ talk/ answer/ reply
Do you speak Japanese? (NOT Do you talk Japanese?)
I like talking to you. (having a conversation with you)
Can you answer the telephone/ the door, please? (pick up the phone/ open the door to see who it is)
I wrote a letter to him but he did not reply.
(for letters/ faxes/e-mails) (he did not send me a letter back)

EXERCISES

1.1.Fill the gaps with the correct form of say or tell
1.Can you tell me where the Plaza Hotel is, please?
2.She ________ me her name.
3.I __________ goodbye to her.
4.’Please, _______ me a story,’the little boy _______________.
5.’Come here!’ the police officer _____________.
6.The teacher _______________ that the students were very good.

1.2. What do you say???
1.You want to know where the railway station is.
Can ____________________________-
2.You want to know the word for ‘tree’ in German.
How _________________________
3.You want to know the time.
Excuse me, can you _______________________________
4.Your course is finished. You want to say goodbye to your teacher.
I just want to ________________
5.You want to know when the exam is.
Can you ________________________________?
6.The telephone rings. You are in the bathroom.
(to your friend) Can you_______________________?

1.3.Match the verbs on the left with the words on the right.
1.Say                                                          a. a letter
2.Answer                                                   b. someone to help you
3.Ask for                                                    c. Happy New Year
4.Reply to                                                   d. the door
5.Tell                                                         e. a friend
6.Talk to                                                     f. someone a joke
7.Ask                                                         g. the bill

1.4.On the left are some things in different languages. Can you match them with the sentences on the right.
1.La cuenta, por favor.                                           a. Say Merry Christmas in Swedish.
2.Berapa ini?                                                          b. Say thank you in Arabic.
3.God jul!                                                               c. Ask for the bill in Spanish.
4.Kon’nichi wa.                                                      d. Ask how much something is in Malay.
5.Shukran                                                              e. Say good morning in Japanese.

KEY

1.1
2.told
3.said
4.tell; said
5.said
6.said

1.2
1.Can you tell me where the railway station is?
2.How do you say ‘tree’ in German?
3.Excuse me, can you tell me the time?
4.I just want to say goodbye (to you).
5.Can you tell me when the exam is?
6.Can you answer the phone, please?

1.3
1.Say Happy New Year
2.Answer the door
3.Ask for the bill
4.Reply to a letter
5.Tell a joke
6.Talk to a friend
7. Ask someone to help you
We can also say ‘answer a letter’, but not ‘ reply to the door’!

1.4
1.Ask for the bill in Spanish
2.Ask how much something in Malay
3.Say Merry Christmas in Swedish
4.Say good morning in Japanese.
5.Say thank you in Arabic

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments