Monday 19 November 2018

ENTRY TEST GRAMMAR FOR IELTS WITH ANSWERS


GRAMMAR FOR IELTS WITH ANSWERS
ENTRY TEST
1
Most university students __________ on campus in their first year.
26
There were millions of people around the world __________ the football match live on television.
A
lives
A
watched
B
live
B
watching
C
are living
C
were watching
2
From this graph we can see that the economy __________ at the moment.
27
Scientists finally __________ find a cure for the disease after years of research.
A
improves
A
managed to
B
improve
B
can
C
is improving
C
could
3
They __________ personal computers when my father was a student.
28
She got a terrible mark in the exam so she __________ very hard at all.
A
hadn’t
A
mustn’t have worked
B
didn’t have
B
can’t have worked
C
weren’t having
C
didn’t work
4
I __________ want to be a practising doctor but now I’m more interested in research.
29
What __________ in order to get a permit to work in your country?
A
was used to
A
do I need to do
B
used to
B
must I do
C
would
C
ought I do
5
The teacher __________ us how to do the experiment when the fire bell rang.
30
When you write your essays you __________ copy ideas from books without referencing them properly.
A
showed
A
mustn’t
B
shown
B
don’t have to
C
was showing
C
have to
6
I finished my essay yesterday but __________ it in to the tutor yet.
31
Doctors have __________ us to cut down on salt in our diets if we want to reduce the risk of getting heart disease.
A
I’ve given
A
insisted
B
I haven’t given
B
suggested
C
I didn’t give
C
advised
7
__________ the experiment three times now with different results each time!
32
__________ the newspaper report, more women smoke than men nowadays.
A
We’ve done
A
Apparently
B
We did
B
According to
C
We’ve been doing
C
Supposedly
8
When I arrived the lecture __________ so I didn’t find it easy to follow.
33
My parents encouraged __________ this course.
A
started
A
me to do
B
had started
B
me doing
C
had been starting
C
me do
9
She __________ well at school but that changed when she became friends with a different group of girls.
34
What will you do if __________
A
did
A
you don’t get a good IELTS score?
B
had done
B
you didn’t get a good IELTS score?
C
had been doing
C
you won’t get a good ILETS score?
10
__________ the doctor at 2.00 this afternoon so I can’t go to the lecture.
35
A recent government report has warned that __________ we act immediately to reduce pollution, there will be serious consequences for the planet.
A
I’m seeing
A
provided that
B
I see
B
in case
C
I will see
C
unless
11
My sister __________ economics and politics when she goes to university.
36
If I didn’t have to work tonight, __________
A
is going to study
A
I’d be able to relax now.
B
studies
B
I’m able to relax now.
C
will study
C
I’ll be able to relax now.
12
While we’re working on the project our boss, __________ on a beach in Greece!
37
I wish that man __________ tapping his fingers on the table. It’s really annoying me.
A
will sit
A
stopped
B
will have sat
B
had stopped
C
will be sitting
C
would stop
13
If the trend continues, the average income __________ by 107% by 2020.
38
I’m aiming __________ a band 7 in IELTS.
A
will increase
A
on
B
will have increased
B
for
C
will be increasing
C
to
14
You can base your geography assignment on __________ country – it doesn’t matter which.
39
Do you have any knowledge __________ how our education system works?
A
a
A
of
B
some
B
on
C
any
C
for
15
There aren’t __________ places left on the course so you’d better apply soon.
40
The minister __________ is responsible for education has just resigned.
A
much
A
which
B
many
B
who
C
lots of
C
what
16
I don’t know whether to accept the job offer. It’s __________.
41
The University of St Andrews __________ is the oldest university in Scotland.
A
a difficult decision
A
which was founded in 1413
B
the difficult decision
B
, which was founded in 1413,
C
difficult decision
C
, that was founded in 1413,
17
For those of you new to the company, this leaflet is full of __________
42
Many children these days do not have a healthy diet. __________ is possible that this is because less healthy foods are cheaper than healthy ones.
A
a valuable information
A
What
B
the valuable information
B
That
C
valuable information
C
It
18
The manager interviewed __________ candidates in turn.
43
The charity is trying to find ways to save and __________ the world’s endangered animal species.
A
each of the
A
the charity is trying to find ways to protect
B
each
B
to find ways to protect
C
every
C
protect
19
I know it’s not much of a present but I made it __________.
44
In the past we threw a lot of our kitchen waste away, but today many items such as plastic bottles and newspaper.
A
me
A
are recycled
B
myself
B
recycle
C
by myself
C
need recycling
20
You should visit Bath. It’s __________ city.
45
I can’t pick you up from the station on Wednesday because __________ on that day.
A
a historical and interesting
A
I’m fixing my car
B
a historical interesting
B
I’m having my car fixed
C
an interesting historical
C
I need my car fixed
21
The government has released some __________ data showing how schools are not providing an adequate education to our children.
46
These drugs are the best medicine available as a treatment at the moment, __________ they are expensive, unfortunately.
A
shocking
A
although
B
shock
B
because
C
shocked
C
so
22
You really should go to Namibia. The scenery is __________ stunning and the people are very friendly.
47
Learning a foreign language is important because it helps you to understand other cultures better. __________ it can be a useful skill in many areas of work.
A
very
A
However,
B
fairly
B
Despite this,
C
absolutely
C
In addition,
23
This factory produces some of __________ cameras in the world.
48
__________ I can’t go to the conference as I’ve got to go to Sydney on business.
A
Less
A
Frankly
B
Few
B
Unfortunately
C
Fewer
C
Personally
24
__________ people live in the countryside than 100 years ago.
49
__________ I think it’s useful to write an outline of your essay before you start to write the first draft.
A
Less
A
Interestingly,
B
Few
B
Definitely,
C
Fewer
C
Personally,
25
The bookshop __________ the end of the road is excellent.
50
The __________ of dark red spots is one of the first signs of the disease.
A
at
A
appearance
B
on
B
appearing
C
in
C
appear

ANSWER KEY
1
B
11
A
21
A
31
C
41
B
2
C
12
C
22
C
32
B
42
C
3
B
13
B
23
B
33
A
43
C
4
B
14
C
24
C
34
A
44
A
5
C
15
B
25
A
35
C
45
B
6
B
16
A
26
B
36
A
46
A
7
A
17
C
27
A
37
C
47
C
8
B
18
A
28
B
38
B
48
B
9
C
19
B
29
A
39
A
49
C
10
A
20
C
30
A
40
B
50
A

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments