Monday 4 November 2019

CONJUNCTIONS AND CONNECTING WORDS (50) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
CONJUNCTIONS AND CONNECTING WORDS (50)


A
BASIC CONJUNCTIONS

Conjunctions join two parts of a sentence. They help to show the connection between the two parts of the sentence.

conjunction
example
use
and
Kate is a student and she works part-time.
We use and to give extra information in the second part of the sentence.
but
They are rich but they aren’t happy.
We use but when the second part of the sentence contrasts with the first part.
or
You can pay by credit card or cash
We use or when the second part of the sentence gives a different possibility.
because
We went home early because we were tired.
We use because when the second part of the sentence explains why the first part happened.
so
I felt ill so I didn’t go to work.
We use so when the second part of the sentence gives a result of the first part.
when
I went to the party when the babysitter arrived.
We use when to say when the first part of the sentence happened.
before
We left before it started to rain.
We use before to show that the first part of the sentence happened first.
after
We went for a meal after we had seen the film.
We use after to show that the second part of the sentence happened first.
if
You can have some ice cream if you eat your dinner.
We use if to say that the first part of the sentence will only happen after the second part of the sentence happens and it may not happen.
B
OTHER CONNECTING WORDS

word
example
use
only
He only sleeps for three hours every night.
We use only to say something is not very big or very much.
like
She looks like her father.
We use like to make a comparison.
than
She works harder than he does.
We use than after a comparative adjective or adverb.
also
too
as well
He works in the shop and she does also / too / as well.
We use also, too and as well to say something is extra.

TIP

These words are small, but they are very important to learn. Write a translation of the words in the
first column of the tables.

Exercises
50.1
Choose one of the words to complete each sentence.

1
Blake liked school because / but / if he had many friends there.
2
Blake left school so / or / and he joined the navy.
3
He hadn’t travelled much but / before / after he joined the navy.
4
Blake was seasick when / if / so he left the navy.
5
He took a job in a bank because / after / or it was near his home.
6
He will stay at the bank when / if / before he likes it there.
7
If he doesn’t like his new job, he’ll go to university before / if / or he’ll move to London.
8
He wants to get married if / when / so he’s 30.
50.2
Write down nine sentences from the columns. Use each of the conjunctions once.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav after they decided to start a business together.








50.3
Fill in the gaps with words from B opposite.

I love swimming, my brother loves swimming
1 ___too___ and my sister likes it very much
2___________ I can swim better 3___________
they can! Almost all my family loves swimming.
My grandmother swims 4___________ a fish but she
doesn’t swim very often - 5___________ every year or
so, now.
50.4
Write six sentences about your family and your habits using only, than, like, also, too and as well.

I play tennis and my mother plays as well. My mother plays better than I do.
50.5
Complete these sentences about yourself.

1
I’m learning English because _______________________________________________
2
I’ll learn more English if _______________________________________________
3
I’m learning English and _______________________________________________
4
I started learning English when _______________________________________________
5
I can speak some English, so _______________________________________________
6
I’ll learn more English but _______________________________________________


ANSWER KEY

50.1
2
and
7
or
3
before
8
when
4
so


5
because


6
if




50.2
Possible sentences:
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav after he moved to London. / Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav after they decided to start a business together.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav and they had two sons. / Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav and they decided to start a business together.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav because she loved him. / Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav because he was a pop star.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav before he moved to London. / Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav before they decided to start a business together.
Annabelle will marry Aarav because she loves him.
Annabelle will marry Aarav before he moves to London.
Annabelle will marry Aarav but she doesn’t love him.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav if he moved to London.
Annabelle will marry Aarav or she won’t marry anyone.
Annabelle agreed to marry Aarav so he moved to London.
Annabelle will marry Aarav when he moves to London.

50.3
2
as well / also (too is also possible but it is better to use a different word as too is already in the sentence)
3
than
4
like
5
only

50.4
Possible answers:

I only play tennis in the summer.
My sister plays the piano better than I do.
My brother swims like a fish.
I like listening to music and I like reading also.
I like going skiing too.
I often go skiing with the children and sometimes my husband comes as well.

50.5
Possible answers
1
I’m learning English because I enjoy it.
2
I’ll learn more English if I do all the exercises in this book.
3
I’m learning English and I’m also studying Spanish.
4
I started learning English when I was ten.
5
I can speak some English, so it’s OK on holiday in the UK.
6
I’ll learn more English but sometimes it’s difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments