Tuesday 5 November 2019

PLACES (53) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
PLACES (53)


A
GENERAL PLACE WORDS

Come here, please. [to me, to where I am]
Have you been to Lima? I’m going there in April. [not here, another place]
Max is coming back from Portugal in May. [to here again, to this place]
There are books and papers everywhere in my room. [in all parts / all places]
(See Unit 42: Come / came / come.)
B
PREPOSITIONS

Luke is in the kitchen, making dinner.
There are two restaurants in the village.
Samantha lives in Seoul / South Korea / Asia.

I’ll meet you at the station.
I always sit at the front of the class.

I like that photo on the wall.
Don’t put your books on the chair. I want to sit on it!
C
POSITIONS

the beginning of the motorway
the end of the motorway
D
LEFT AND RIGHT

This is his left hand. This is his right hand.
In York Street, there is a cinema on the left and a restaurant on the right.

E
HOME AND AWAY

Is Eleanor at home [in her house / flat]?
No, sorry, she’s out [not here for a short time, e.g. at the shops or at work].
No, sorry, she’s away [not here for a longer time, e.g. on holiday].
No, sorry, she’s abroad [in another country].

Exercises
53.1
Fill the gaps with here, there, back or everywhere.

1
Thanks for lending me your dictionary. I’ll bring it _____back____ soon. (See Unit 44: Bring/ brought/ brought.)
2
Come ______________ Emma! Don’t go near the road! (See Unit 42: Come / came / come.)
3
This letter is for a teacher at the university. Can you take it ______________. (See Unit 43: Take / took / taken.)
4
I opened the washing machine too soon. Now there’s water______________
5
I want to leave this letter in Nora’s office. Are you going______________
6
I’m going to Italy tomorrow, but I’m coming ______________ on Friday.
53.2
Fill the gaps with the correct preposition.

1
My brother works _____in________ Paris.
2
Why do you always sit _____________ the back of the class?
3
Let’s go and sit _____________ the sofa.
4
What time do you arrive? I’ll meet you _____________ the bus station.
5
There was a picture of an old man _____________ the wall.
6
Do you usually study _____________ your bedroom or _____________ the living room?
53.3
Mark the positions on the bus and on the tree.

1
the front of the bus
2
the side of the bus
3
the back of the bus
4
the middle of the tree
5
the top of the tree
6
the bottom of the tree
53.4
Fill the gaps with out, away or abroad.

1
I’d like to work and learn _______abroad_____ about a new country.
2
Is Lily here? No, she’s _____________ but she’ll be back in about five minutes.
3
I’m going _____________ tomorrow. I’m going to stay with my sister for a few days.
4
When we go _____________ we like to go _____________ and see new countries.
53.5
Answer these questions about yourself and about this book.

1
Are you studying English at home or abroad?
2
Are you going away this year?
3
What have you got in your left or right hand at the moment?
4
What is there at the end of this book?
5
Where is Unit 3 in this book? (beginning / middle / end?)
6
Where is Unit 36 in this book? (beginning / middle / end?)


ANSWER KEY

53.1
2
here
3
there
4
everywhere
5
there
6
back

53.2
2
at
3
on
4
at
5
on
6
in; in

53.3

53.4
2
out
3
away
4
away; abroad

53.5
Possible answers
1
I’m studying English in the UK.
2
Yes, I’m going to Dublin and to the US.
3
At the moment I have a pen in my right hand.
4
The Answer key is at the end of this book.
5
Unit 3 is at the beginning of this book (Unit 3 out of 60 units). ( Note: we say at.)
6
Unit 36 is in the middle of this book (Unit 36 out of 60 units). ( Note: we say in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments