Tuesday 5 November 2019

MANNER (54) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
MANNER (54)


Adjectives and adverbs can describe manner, i.e. how we do something.
A
FAST AND SLOW


adjectives
This is a fast car.
This is a slow car.
adverbs
This car goes very fast.
This car goes very slowly.
B
LOUD /laud/ AND QUIET /ˈkwaɪət/


adjectives
The music is too loud.
It’s very quiet here.
adverbs
The children sang loudly.
The teacher speaks very quietly. We can’t hear him.
C
GOOD AND BAD

adjectives
She’s a good driver.
He’s a bad driver.
adverbs
She drives well.
He drives badly.
D
RIGHT AND WRONG

This sentence is right.
I like coffee very much.
This sentence is wrong.
I like very much coffee.
X
E
EXPRESSIONS WITH WAY

He’s speaking in a friendly way.
She’s speaking in an unfriendly way.
You’re doing that the wrong way.
Let me show you the right way to do it.

Exercises
54.1
Complete the sentences.

1
This train is slow. It goes very
___slowly____
2
He is a bad singer. He sings very
_____________
3
She is always loud. She speaks very
_____________
4
He’s a fast swimmer. He swims very
_____________
5
This girl is quiet. She always speaks
_____________
6
He’s a good English-speaker. He speaks English
_____________
54.2
Complete the sentences.

1
Please don’t play your music so ____loudly_____ I’m trying to study.
2
Let’s take ___________ the train, not the fast one.
3
Katie is very ___________ at French but bad at German.
4
Why is Fiona behaving ___________ an unfriendly way?
5
I hope this is the ___________ answer.
6
It is better to do something well than to do it ___________
7
The children are playing very ___________ - they know that grandma is asleep.
8
Did I do this exercise ___________ right way?
54.3
Are the definitions right or wrong? Use a dictionary.

word
definition
right (√)
wrong (X)
suddenly
very slowly

X
sadly
in an unhappy way


strangely
not in a normal way


quickly
very slowly


easily
with no difficulty


54.4
Complete these sentences about yourself and your friends or family.

1
My _________sister plays tennis___________well.
2
My _______________________ badly.
3
I _______________________ fast.
4
My _______________________ slow.
5
My _______________________ quiet.
6
I _______________________ loudly.
7
My _______________________ in a friendly way.
8
I _______________________ the right way.


ANSWER KEY

54.1
2
badly
3
loudly
4
fast (NOT fastly)
5
quietly
6
well

54.2
2
slow
3
good
4
in
5
right
6
badly

7
quietly

8
the

54.3
suddenly sadly strangely quickly easily

Suddenly means very quickly, when you are not expecting it.
Quickly is similar to ‘fast’ when fast is an adverb, not when it is an adjective.


54.4
Possible answers
2
My brother speaks German badly.
3
I usually eat too fast.
4
My dog is old and very slow.
5
My voice is quiet.
6
I like to sing loudly.
7
My mum always behaves in a friendly way.

8
I like to do things the right way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments