Tuesday 5 November 2019

TIME WORDS (52) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
TIME WORDS (52)


A
TIME IN RELATION TO NOW

Now means at this moment. Then means at another moment (usually in the past).
I was born in Edinburgh. Then we moved to London. Now I live in Cambridge.

It is 10 o’clock now.
I got up four hours ago, at 6 o’clock.
An hour ago it was 9 o’clock.

two years for two years
2014-2016                 from 2014 to 2016               2014                         2016
last year / last week / last Saturday
next year / next week / next summer

It is July now.
Last month it was June.
Next month it will be August.

When we talk about time in general, we talk about the past, the present and the future.
In the past people didn’t have television.
People may travel to Mars in the future.
B
FREQUENCY ADVERBS

It always snows in Russia in winter.
It often rains in the UK.
The Ancient Romans never went to America or Australia.
C
EXPRESSIONS

Notice the use of a in these expressions of frequency.
once [one time] a week: I go swimming once a week, every Saturday.
twice [two times] a day: I clean my teeth twice a day.
three times a year: I see my uncle three times a year.
four times a month: I play football four or five times a month.

I’ll be with you in a moment [a very short time].
Nora’s in Paris at the moment [now].
See you soon [in a short time]!
We met recently [not long ago].

Exercises
52.1
Fill the gaps with a preposition from the opposite page.

1___ In_____ the past, Rosa worked in many different countries. Rosa worked in Hong Kong 2 ________ three years, 3 ________ 2008 4 ________ 2011. 5________ the moment she is working in Tokyo. She will stay there 6________  two more years.
52.2
Draw lines to match the centuries to their time.
1
the 19th century
the past
the present
the future
2
the 22nd century
3
the 18th century
4
the 21st century
5
the 20th century
52.3
Are these sentences true about you? If not, write them out correctly. Use other frequency adverbs from B opposite.

1
I always go swimming on Fridays.
I sometimes go swimming on Fridays.
2
I usually go to school / work by bus.
_______________________________________
3
I occasionally watch TV.
_______________________________________
4
I rarely drink milk.
_______________________________________
5
I often wear a hat.
_______________________________________
6
I rarely eat chocolate.
_______________________________________
7
I always go to bed at 10.
_______________________________________
8
I never go to the theatre.
_______________________________________
52.4
Read the sentences and answer the questions.

1
Matthew will get his exam results very soon.
Do you think Matthew will get them next year, next month or tomorrow?
Probably tomorrow
2
Alice and Adam met for the first time recently.
Do you think they first met last year, six months ago or a week ago?
_______________________________________
3
I’ll help you in a moment.
Do you think I’ll help you next week, in two hours or in a few minutes?
_______________________________________
4
It’s 6 o’clock now.
Two hours ago it started to snow. What time was it then?
_______________________________________
52.5
Look at the table and write sentences using expressions like once a week, three times a month, etc.

John plays tennis twice a week.


play tennis
practise the piano
have a business meeting in Germany
John
Mondays and Thursdays
Saturdays
the first Friday every month
Julia and Alexa
Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
every morning and every evening
once in January, March, May, July, August and December every year.


ANSWER KEY

52.1
2
for
3
from
4
to
5
At
6
for

52.2
2
the 22nd century – the future
3
the 18th century – the past
4
the 21st century – the present
5
the 20th century – the past

52.3
Possible answers
2
I sometimes go to school by bus. I usually go by car
3
I often watch TV.
4
I never drink milk. I usually drink coffee.
5
I never wear a hat.
6
I often eat chocolate.
7
I sometimes go to bed at 10. I usually go to bed at 11.
8
I sometimes go to the theatre.

52.4
2
Probably a week ago


3
In a few minutes


4
4 o’clock



52.5
John plays tennis twice a week. He practises the piano once a week and he has a business meeting in Germany once a month.
Julia and Alexa play tennis three times a week. They practise the piano twice a day. They go to Germany for a business meeting six times a year. or They have a business meeting in Germany six times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments