Saturday 9 November 2019

WORDS AND PREPOSITIONS (57) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
WORDS AND PREPOSITIONS (57)


A
PHRASAL AND PREPOSITIONAL VERBS

Some verbs are used with different particles and prepositions.
·         I listen to the radio in bed in the morning.
·         I waited for the bus for half an hour yesterday.
·         I asked for a black coffee, not a white one.
·         Where do I pay for our meal?
·         I hope you can come to my party.
·         This book belongs to Sarah Smith.
·         What are you thinking about?
·         Lauren thanked her mother for the present.
·         Damian apologised for being late.
B
PHRASAL VERBS

Some verbs have different meanings when they are used with different prepositions, for example, look.
·         I love looking at old photographs.
·         If you want to find your key, you must look for it.
·         Parents look after their children. [they take care of them]You look forward to something nice in the future, for example friend’s visit, or a holiday.
C
ADJECTIVES

Some adjectives are also followed by prepositions.
·         I’m good at geography but bad at maths.
·         I’m interested in (hearing) all your news.
·         He is afraid of mice.
·         Lucy is proud of winning a medal and her mother is proud of her.

Note:
·         You are used to what you know well: I’m used to getting up early, I always do.
·         You have to get used to something new, for example a new school or driving on the other side of the road

common mistakes
She’s a lovely person and I’m really happy about her success [NOT happy for her success].
D
GRAMMAR

Prepositions are followed by a noun:
·         Artur is good at tennis
or by the -ing form of the verb:
·         Artur is good at playing the piano.

TIP
Look carefully at prepositions when you read in English. Make a note of any phrases which use
prepositions in a new way.

Exercises
57.1
Match the words on the left with the words on the right.

1
John is waiting
a
for his mistake.
2
This bicycle belongs
b
about the holidays.
3
The children thanked their aunt
c
for a train to London.
4
Molly is listening
d
to the hotel.
5
He apologised
e
for our tickets.
6
Let me pay
f
to the football match.
7
Javier is thinking
g
to music on her phone.
8
Over 100 people came
h
for the money.
57.2
Complete these sentences using the appropriate preposition(s) and a word or phrase from the box.

books       the children      me       people      my party        it       a new one      them
1
Isabel’s granddaughter can’t read yet but she likes looking ____________at books_________________
2
A nurse looks ______________
3
I can’t find my glasses? Could you help me look______________?
4
It’s my birthday soon. I’m really looking ______________
5
Why are you looking ______________ in that way? Is my face dirty?
6
I don’t like my job very much. I’m looking ______________
7
Alex is going to France in July. He is looking ______________
8
I often look ______________when their parents go out.
57.3
Write prepositions.

Josephine has got used 1 ______to______her new school and is doing well there. She is very good 2 __________ English and maths. She always listens 3 __________ her teachers. She is very interested 4 __________ sport and she belongs 5 __________ a tennis club and a swimming club. Her parents were very proud 6 __________ her when she won a medal for swimming last month. Josephine was very happy 7 __________ her medal too, of course. She showed it to me when she came 8 __________ my house last Saturday.
57.4
Hiroshi is a visitor from Japan. Make sentences about what he found strange () in Britain and what he didn’t find strange ().

1
speaking English every day
He wasn’t used to speaking English every day.
2
driving on the left
Hiroshi was used to driving on the left.
3
eating British food
_______________________________________
4
traffic jams
_______________________________________
5
expensive shops
_______________________________________
6
British money
_______________________________________
57.5
Answer the questions about yourself.

1
What are / were you good at at school? What are / were you bad at?
2
What do you usually ask for when you go to a café?
3
What are you proud of?
4
What are you afraid of?
5
What kind of music do you like listening to?
6
What are you looking forward to?
7
Do you belong to any clubs?
8
Are you used to eating different kinds of food?


ANSWER KEY

57.1
2
d This bicycle belongs to the hotel.
3
h The children thanked their aunt for the money.
4
g Molly is listening to music on her phone.
5
a He apologised for his mistake.
6
e Let me pay for our tickets.
7
b Javier is thinking about the holidays.
8
f Over 100 people came to the football match.

57.2
2
after people
3
for them
4
forward to my party
5
at me
6
for a new one
7
forward to it
8
after the children

57.3
2
at
3
to
4
in
5
to
6
of
7
about
8
to

57.4
3
Hiroshi wasn’t used to eating British food.
4
He was used to traffic jams.
5
He was used to expensive shops.
6
He wasn’t used to British money.


57.5
Possible answers
1
I was good at languages and bad at PE.
2
I usually ask for a black coffee.
3
I am proud of my family.
4
I am afraid of going to the dentist.
5
I like listening to folk music.
6
I am looking forward to my holiday.
7
I belong to a tennis club.

8
I am used to eating lots of different kinds of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments