Sunday 10 February 2019

14. Synonyms-verbs. Test your vocabulary


Test your vocabulary
14. Synonyms-verbs.

Give a synonym for each of the words in brackets in the following sentences. Choose from the ones below. (Make any other necessary changes.) Number 1 has been done for you.
detest
inform
enter
brag
purchase
accomplish
moan
vanish
spoil
put off
recollect
scare
trip
alter
occur
1
Being a gentleman, I allowed the woman to (go in) ___enter_____ first.
2
They were all watching the U.F.O. when it suddenly (disappeared) __________.
3
This is something I (bought) __________ from an antique dealer in Chelsea.
4
I love watching football, but my wife (loathes) __________ it.
5
He (stumbled) __________ and fell as he was leaving the church.
6
You won’t (achieve) __________ anything if you don’t work harder.
7
The manuscript is basically good – but there are still parts of it that need to (changed) __________.
8
I couldn’t (remember) __________ where I had first met her.
9
The match has been (postponed) __________ until next week.
10
Alfred Hitchcock’s films really (frighten) __________ me; especially the one he made about a lot of birds attacking people.
11
Bad weather completely (ruined) __________ the Garden Party.
12
I don’t like the new secretary very much – she’s always (complaining) __________ about something or other.
13
Can you tell me in your own words exactly what (happened) __________?
14
Would you please (notify) __________ me the moment Miss Baker gets back?
15
I can’t stand Doreen. She’s always (boasting) __________ about the places she’s been to.

Answer key

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments