Saturday 2 February 2019

FREE TIME AT HOME (25) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
                                            FREE TIME AT HOME (25)

A
TV, radio, music, film

I watch TV every evening.
Did you watch / see the film about President Kennedy?
What programmes do you like best on TV and radio?
I like watching films on TV. (You can also say: I like to watch …)
At the weekend, we usually watch a DVD.
I like listening to music on the radio. (You can also say: I like to listen …)
I often listen to music on my phone when I’m relaxing.
I need some new headphones for my phone.
B
Hobbies

A lot of young people play video games every day.
I download music and films from the Internet.
I chat to my friends online every evening.
I really like cooking.
Do you like gardening? /ˈgɑːdnɪŋ/
We grow flowers and vegetables in our garden.
C
Reading

I read a lot at home.
What do you read?
I read novels [long stories]. My sister likes comics.
I like books about nature and different countries.
I like magazines about music and sport.
Do you read a newspaper every day?
D
Expressions

We sometimes have friends round [we ask them to come to our house / flat].
I often have friends to dinner.
My best friend comes to stay sometimes. [sleeps in my house / flat]
I talk to my friends on the phone every evening.
Sometimes, I just do nothing.
Grandpa likes to have a sleep after lunch.

Common mistakes
We watch TV [NOT see TV] and we listen to the radio [NOT hear or listen the radio].



Exercises
25.1
What are these people doing?

25.2
Fill in the missing verbs.

1
I usually ___listen____ to music on my laptop at home.
2
I like _____________ magazines more than newspapers.
3
I _____________to my sister on the phone every Sunday.
4
A lot of people like to _____________a sleep after lunch.
5
Do you ever _____________friends to dinner?
6
The children _____________ video games every evening.
7
I want to _____________ some music from the Internet this evening.
8
Did you _____________ the programme about Namibia yesterday?
9
My dad _____________ vegetables in his garden.
10
Shall we _____________ a DVD tonight?
25.3
Answer these questions.

1
When you have friends round, what do you like to do?
2
Who comes to stay at your house / flat?
3
What do you like to read most?
4
How often do you talk to your friends on the phone?
5
Do you have a garden? Do you like gardening?
6
How often do you chat to your friends online?
7
Do you often download music or films from the Internet?
8
What is your favourite video game?
9
When do you use headphones?
25.4
Interesting or boring? Number these activities from 5 (= very interesting) to 1 (= very boring).

gardening           cooking                reading           using the Internet        watching DVDs
listening to music               doing nothing              chatting online

ANSWER KEY
                        
 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments