Sunday 3 February 2019

IN THE TOWN (29) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
                                                   IN THE TOWN (29)

A
Places in the town

Train station / railway station - you can get a train here.
Bus station - you can get a bus here.
Shops - you can buy things here.
Shopping centre - area of town with a lot of shops.
Tourist information office - tourists can get information here.
Museum - you can see interesting old things here.
Bank - you can change money here or get money from a cash machine.
Post office - you can post letters and parcels here.
Library /ˈla br ri/ - you can read books and newspapers here.
Town hall - local government officers work here.
Car park - you can park your car here.
Pedestrian area /ˈe ri / - you can only walk here, you can’t come here by car.
B
Notices in towns
 

C
Asking and giving directions

A: Where is the bus station?
B: Go left here and it’s at the end of the road.

A: How do I get to Market Street?
B: Take the first right and then the second left.

A: Is there a shopping centre near here?
B: Yes, turn right here. The entrance is on Market Street on the left.

A: Can I park here?
B: No, but there’s a car park on Park Street.

A: Excuse me, I’m looking for the museum.
B: It’s on Bridge Road. Take the number 31 bus and get off at the second stop.

A: Can you tell me the way to the nearest bank, please? I need a cash machine.
B: No problem. Go left here and there’s one on the other side of the road.

Exercises
29.1
Answer the questions.

1
Where can I get a bus to London? at the bus station
2
Where can I get information about hotels?
3
Where can I change money?
4
Where can I park my car?
5
Where can I see old and interesting things?
6
Where can I get a train?
7
Where can I go to a lot of different shops?
8
Where can I go to post a parcel?
29.2
Which notice from B opposite will help you?

1
The cash machine doesn’t give you any money. Out of order
2
You are in the shopping centre and you want to leave.
3
You want to sit in a place where there are no cigarettes.
4
You want to know if people can go on the grass.
5
You want to go into the museum.
29.3
Complete these sentences.

1
Turn right at the ____end_____ of the road.
2
The bus _____________ is over there _____________ the left.
3
For the Town Hall _____________ the number 14 bus.
4
_____________ is a post office on the other _____________ of the road.
5
You can find a cash _____________ at the bank in High Street.
6
We can get a map of the town at the tourist _____________ office.
7
Can you tell me the _____________ to the railway _____________, please?
8
_____________me. I’m looking _____________ a car park.
29.4
What words are these?

1
sumuem            museum
6
dtaeepsrin raae
2
nowt hlal
7
scah enicmah
3
brilyra
8
tsop ffcoie
4
rac prak
9
phoss
5
ywrlaai nttoisa
10
sub post
29.5
Look at the map in C opposite. How do you get from the tourist information office to the shopping centre? Write directions.
29.6
Does your town have these places? Where are they? Write sentences.

1
a train station          There’s a train station. It’s at the end of Station Road
2
a bus station
3
a shopping centre
4
a library
5
a town hall
6
a pedestrian area
7
a tourist information office
8
a museum
9
a post office

Tip
Keep a notebook in your pocket. Many towns in different countries have notices in English to help tourists. Write down any English words and expressions that you see in your town.

ANSWER KEY
   
                      














No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments