Friday 28 May 2021

LEARNER STRATEGIES (1) BUILDING SUPPORTING SKILLS CAMBRIDGE PREPARATION FOR THE TOEFL® IBT TEST

 

CAMBRIDGE PREPARATION FOR THE TOEFL® IBT TEST

BUILDING SUPPORTING SKILLS

LEARNER STRATEGIES (1)

 

When you begin to study TOEFL test, it is worthwhile to plan your approach to preparing for the test and stick to that plan. You may want to consider the following activities.

Analyze your strengths

Identify your learning style

Motivate yourself

Set goals

Plan your study schedule

Check your progress

 

Exercise LS1-LS13

Use Exercises LS1-LS13 to reflect on and develop your learning strategies.

Think of skill you are good at. Write it below.

I am good at ___________________________________________

How do you know that you are good at the skill? Check (√) all the reasons that apply. I know this because:


EXERCISE LS2 Analyzing your strengths

Think about the skill you named in Exercise LS1. Write down specific activities that helped you master this skill. Write down what you did on your own and what someone else did to help you.


EXERCISE LS3 Analyzing yourself as a teacher

Think about a skill you learned by yourself. Write down what motivated your to learn how to do it, and the specific details of how you taught yourself. Then evaluate yourself.


EXERCISE LS4 Building a picture of your learning process

Review Exercises LS1-LS2, which analyse skills you have successfully learned, and Exercise LS3, which analyses skills you taught yourself. Then answer the questions.

1. Do I see a pattern in the way I have succeeded in mastering skills? ___________________________


EXERCISE LS5 Recognizing your learning style


The problem solver

____

I examine all parts of a task.

____

I like to understand things first.

____

I plan how to approach a task

____

I enjoy the challenge of difficult task.

____

I like my work to be perfect

__________

Total

 

The explorer

____

I find everything interesting.

____

I collect unrelated bits of information.

____

I like details even though I seldom remember them.

____

I have difficulty deciding what is relevant.

____

I concentrate on the whole picture instead of the details.

__________

Total

 

The go-getter

____

I tend to start in on the activity without reading instructions.

____

I solve problems through trial and error.

____

I like to see someone else do it first and then have the opportunity to do it myself.

____

I need lots of breaks while studying because I think better when I can move around.

____

I like to get on to the next activity quickly.

__________

Total

 

The daydreamer

____

I add lots of pictures and arrows in my notes.

____

I remember better if I write information down.

____

I picture things in my mind.

____

I work best in a quiet place.

____

I think a lot about the topics.

__________

Total

Analyses of the four learning styles.


ANSWER KEYS AND EXPLANATION


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments