Sunday 10 June 2018

SKILL 18: INVERT THE SUBJECT AND VERB WITH CONDITIONALS



SKILL 18: INVERT THE SUBJECT AND VERB WITH CONDITIONALS


In certain conditional structures, the subject and verb may also be inverted. This can occur when the helping verb in the conditional clause is had, should, or were, and the conditional connector if is omitted.
Examples:
            If he had taken more time, the results would have been better.
            Had he taken more time, the results would have been better.
            I would help you if I were in a position to help.
            I would help you were in a position to help.
            If you should arrive before 6.00, just give me a call.
            Should you arrive before 6.00, just give me a call.
In each of these examples you can see that when if is included, the subject and verb are in the regular order (if he had taken, if I were, if you should arrive). It is also possible to omit if; in this case, the subject and verb are inverted (had he taken, were I, should you arrive)
EXERCISE 18: Each of the following sentences contains a conditional with a stated or an implied if. Circle the conditionals, or put an asterisk (*) where if has been omitted. Look at the clauses that immediately follow the place expressions and underline the subjects once and the verbs twice. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).
 




3.          (_______) Has he enough vacation days left this year, he will take two full weeks off in December.
4.          (_______) Had we been informed of the decision, we might have had something to say about it.
5.           (_______) I would like to know could you help me pack these boxes.
6.          (_______) He would have been in big trouble had not he remembered the assignment at the last minute.
7.             (_______) if your friends come to visit, will they stay in a hotel or at your house?
8.         (_______) He might be a little more successful today were he a little more willing to do some hardwork.
9.             (_______) Should you ever visit this town again, I would be delighted to show you around.
10.         (_______) Do you think that she would give the speech were she asked to do so?
 
ANSWER KEY
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments