Saturday 28 July 2018

FCE Practice Test Plus 1 Test 2 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 4



FCE Practice Test Plus 1
Test 2 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 4


You are going to read some interviews with women who have unusual jobs. For Questions 21-35, choose from the people (A-D). The people may be chosen more than once. There is an example at the beginning (0).
Mark your answers on the separate answer sheet.


 
A
Dina Dorset
B
Angela Bell
C
Claire Dorn
D
Dolly Masons

Which interview is with someone who
works part time?
0
A
had a better salary in an earlier job?
21

cannot make friends at work?
22

will get a university qualification?
23

has to pretend she is always happy?
24

writes to her customers?
25

meets her customers socially?
26

organises activities for older people
27

was promoted at work?
28

does not like to use her voice?
29

has a job that affects her health?
30

had an earlier job as a teacher?
31

thinks attitudes towards her work have changed?
32

has the job she had always wanted?
33

considers work more important than family
34

has responsibility for quality control?
35

  

WOMEN IN UNUSUAL JOBS
Dina Dorset
Claire Dorn
is a disc jockey in a night-club in London. A few years ago she thought her future was in tennis. “For a while I trained promising young players on a full-time basis, but one day a neighbour who was a radio producer took me down to his radio station and I became involved in the music scene,” she says. There are lots of late nights for Dino but surprisingly the job doesn't offer her much in the way of a social life. “I don't have any real contact with the large numbers of people I meet,” she says. She particularly likes the fact that she now only works four hours a day. “The one thing I resent is having to appear cheerful all the time even when I feel down,” she says. She hopes to be able to produce her own records one day but she has given up her ambition of going to college. “You can’t do everything in life,” she says.
works on a cruise liner, a floating luxury hotel which is her home for eight months of the year. She is the ship's secretary and has responsibility for all information customers may need while on board, as well as acting as secretory to the caption. “He is very demanding but I have no complaints from him,” she says. Losing touch with the real world for so Long is no problem because the ship's officers can take advantage of the activities provided for the entertainment of passengers. “I’ve made many lasting friendships here,” she says, “we get customers of all ages and backgrounds.” Her previous work experience as a Personal Assistant to a manager prepared her for the demands of this job. It was better paid thon her present job but she gave it up because she had always liked the idea of working on a ship. 'The only disadvantage is that there are constant time changes when you go round the world and it makes you feel physically unwell,” she says.
Angela Bell
Dolly Masons
is a clown, she points her face white and wears funny clothes to entertain people. She decided clowning was the job she wanted after seeing a clown show. “I said that was it. It involved no talking, and that suited me down to the ground, “she says. She soon realised that women only introduced the act and were on stage for a few minutes because it was considered a job for men. “That is changing now,” she says. “But from the beginning I decided to call myself Chris on the programmes instead of Angelo so that the audience don’t know if I’m a man or a woman.” Angelo had to choose between family and work. 'I liked my work too much to think of children,” she says, 'and I have no regrets.” She says the secret of her success is that she is a very happy person, which is what you need to be a good clown.
has worked in a chocolate factory for the past twenty years. “I was nearly sixteen when 1joined,” she says. “My parents both worked here at the time, so it had become a kind of family tradition. My first job was as an assistant and I've since climbed the ladder to become customer relations manager.” Her present job involves a number of responsibilities, from performing taste tests for all chocolates to ensure their flavour is the same, to organising events for retired employees, including parties and excursions to the seaside. “I like to have variety in my job,” she says, “any comments from customers will be forwarded to me to deal with. Of course, I’ll never meet them personally but they will all get a written response from me.” She admits that at the moment she is finding it difficult to concentrate on the degree course in marketing she started last year, but is confident she will finish it by June.

ANSWER KEY 

21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
C
A
D
A
D
C
D
D
B
C
A
B
C
B
D
 










No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments