Sunday 1 July 2018

SKILL 24: USE PARALLEL STRUCTURE WITH COORDINATE CONJUNCTIONS



STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 24: USE PARALLEL STRUCTURE WITH COORDINATE CONJUNCTIONS

The job of the coordinate conjunctions (and, but, or) is to join together equal expressions. In other words, what is on one side of these words must be parallel to what is on the other side.
CC joins two nouns
I need to talk to the manager or the assistant manager.
She is not a teacher but a lawyer.
CC joins two verbs
He only eats and sleeps when he takes a vacation.
She invites us to her home but never talks with us
CC joins two adjectives
My boss is sincere and nice.
The exam that he gave was short but difficult.
CC joins two phrases
There are students in the classroom and in front of the building.
The papers are on my desk or in the drawer.
CC joins two clauses
They are not interested in what you say or what you do.
I am here because I have to be and because I want to be.
*CC= coordinate conjunction










EXERCISE 24: Each of the following sentences contains one of the words or groups of words that should be parallel. Circle the word that indicates that the sentence should have parallel parts. Underline the parts that should be parallel. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).


_______
3
She works very hard but usually gets below-average grades.
_______
4
The speaker introduced himself, told several interesting anecdotes, and finishing with emotional plea.
_______
5
You should know when the program starts and how many units you must complete.
_______
6
The term paper he wrote was rather short but very impressive.
_______
7
She suggested taking the plane this evening or that we go by train tomorrow.
_______
8
The dean or the assistant dean will inform you of when and where you should apply for your diploma
_______
9
There are papers to file, reports to type, and those letters should be answered.
_______
10
The manager needed a quick but thorough response.















ANSWER KEY
1
I
(in a restaurant should be a server)
2
C

3
C

4
I
(finishing  should be finished)
5
C

6
C

7
I
(that we go by train  should be taking the train)
8
C

9
I
(those letters should be answered  should be letters to answer)
10
C




















1 comment:

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments