Monday 7 October 2019

APPENDIX B: Two- and Three-Part Verbs LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL


LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL
APPENDIX B:
Two- and Three-Part Verbs

Directions: Each of the following sentences contains a two- or three-part verb in italics. Read the sentence and try to understand the italicized expression. Then, find the meaning of the expression in the list that follows the exercise, and write the letter of the answer on the line.

EXERCISE B1

___________
1
He’s been smoking too much. He really needs to cut down.
___________
2
The company had to cut off the electricity because the bill was unpaid.
___________
3
He kept teasing me, so finally I told him to cut it out.
___________
4
He is working hard because he really wants to get ahead in his career.
___________
5
She is such a nice person that she is easily able to get along with everyone.
___________
6
Could you explain a little more clearly? I really don’t understand what you are trying to get at.
___________
7
When he stole some money from her, she really wanted to do something to get back at him.
___________
8
We have enough money to get by for a few months; we won’t have a lot of extras, but we will survive.
___________
9
She was sick for several weeks, but now she has started to get over it.
___________
10
There are too many clothes in my closet. I need to get rid of some of them.

DEFINITIONS-Exercise B1
A.
stop it
F.
manage
B.
get revenge against
G.
advance
C.
recover from
H.
throw away
D.
decrease it
I.
stop the supply of
E.
be friendly
J.
imply


EXERCISE B2

___________
1
He read the untrue stories about himself in the newspaper, but he tried not to react. He just tried to brush it off.
___________
2
I haven’t played Scrabble in quite some time. I’ll have to brush up on the rules before we play.
___________
3
While we were walking in the mountains, we were lucky enough to come across a waterfall. It was quite a surprise to find such a beautiful thing.
___________
4
She is not feeling well; she thinks she is about to come down with the flu.
___________
5
While I’m on my trip, do you think you could look after my cats?
___________
6
The police detective was not sure how the crime was committed. She decided to look into it further.
___________
7
Here is my application. Could you take a few moments to look it over?
___________
8
The brother always used to pick on his younger sister. His favourite tricks were to pull her hair, tease her, or scare her.
___________
9
You have tried on three dresses, but you can’t afford all of them. You’ll have to pick out just one.
___________
10
Could you pick me up after school today? I’ll wait for you out in front of the school.

DEFINITIONS-Exercise B2
A.
take care of
F.
bother
B.
review; relearn
G.
not let it have an effect
C.
choose
H.
unexpectedly find
D.
get sick with
I.
come and get
E.
look at it briefly
J.
investigate

EXERCISE B3

___________
1
We have some new neighbors. I think I’ll call on them later this afternoon.
___________
2
The principal had to call off the class on Tuesday because the teacher was sick.
___________
3
The politician should call for a decrease in taxes.
___________
4
Why don’t you call me up about 9:00? I’ll be waiting by the phone.
___________
5
I don’t need this bicycle any more. It’s not worth too much money, so I think I’ll just give it away.
___________
6
Here’s the book I borrowed from you, and now I think I should give it back.
___________
7
I’ve done all I can. I just can’t do anything more. I give up.
___________
8
The teacher has to put off the exam until next week because the students are not prepared.
___________
9
She has to put on her coat before she goes out into the cold winter weather.
___________
10
He’s such a mean man that it’s difficult to put up with him.

DEFINITIONS-Exercise B3
A.
donate
F.
cancel
B.
visit
G.
delay
C.
tolerate
H.
telephone
D.
request; suggest
I.
dress in
E.
return
J.
surrender

EXERCISE B4

___________
1
I was scared last night because someone tried to break into my house.
___________
2
He and she have been friends for more than two years, but now they’ve decided to break off their relationship.
___________
3
I’m really excited to be selected as master of ceremonies. I’ve never done this before, but I’m really going to try to carry it off.
___________
4
After her husband was killed in an accident, she tried hard to carry on with her life.
___________
5
I’m going to hold off taking my vacation. I was scheduled to take my vacation this week, but I’ll take it next month instead.
___________
6
My boss told me that my work had been very good recently and that she wanted me to keep it up.
___________
7
Many of the employees of the company are worried; they’ve heard a rumor that the company is going to lay off a number of employees.
___________
8
While I was at the market, I was surprised to run into a friend I hadn’t seen in months.
___________
9
If I didn’t buy milk at the store, we would run out of it at breakfast in the morning.
___________
10
That boy has been playing baseball all day. I know he’s going to wear out soon.

DEFINITIONS-Exercise B4
A.
postpone
F.
completely use the supply of
B.
succeed
G.
end
C.
fire
H.
unexpectedly meet
D.
tire
I.
continue
E.
unlawfully enter
J.
continue

EXERCISE B5

___________
1
The newspapers tend to play up sensational stories if they want to improve their circulation.
___________
2
He knew that it would be difficult to win the tournament, but he worked hard to pull it off.
___________
3
She tends to show off a lot. She’s very beautiful, and she wants everyone to notice her.
___________
4
He was supposed to come at 9:00, but he didn’t show up until 10:00
___________
5
Do you know when the wedding will take place? I heard that it would be next June.
___________
6
Neither my roommate nor I like to do the dishes, so we take turns.
___________
7
I don’t know how to play golf, but it’s a sport that I would like to take up.
___________
8
He applied for the job, but the manager decided to turn down his application because he was not really qualified.
___________
9
The students must turn in their papers on Thursday. The teacher has said that the papers can’t be even one day late.
___________
10
Because I swim so many hours every day, I sometimes feel that I’m going to turn into a fish.

DEFINITIONS-Exercise B5
A.
try to attract attention
F.
refuse
B.
submit
G.
succeed
C.
happen
H.
begin (a hobby)
D.
increase the significance of
I.
become
E.
arrive
J.
alternate


ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE B1
1
D
6
J
2
I
7
B
3
A
8
F
4
G
9
C
5
E
10
H

EXERCISE B2
1
G
6
J
2
B
7
E
3
H
8
F
4
D
9
C
5
A
10
I

EXERCISE
1
B
6
E
2
F
7
J
3
D
8
G
4
H
9
I
5
A
10
C

EXERCISE B3
1
E
6
J
2
G
7
C
3
B
8
H
4
I
9
F
5
A
10
D

EXERCISE B4
1
E
6
J
2
G
7
C
3
B
8
H
4
I
9
F
5
A
10
D

EXERCISE B5
1
D
6
J
2
G
7
H
3
A
8
F
4
E
9
B
5
C
10
I

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments