Sunday 27 October 2019

COME/CAME/COME(42) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
COME/CAME/COME(42)


Come and go are different:

A
COME IN/OUT

We say ‘Come in!’ when someone knocks at the door of a room.
Then the person who knocked comes into the room.




Come out (of) is often the opposite of come in (to).
·         A woman came out of the shop with two big bags. (I was in the street.)
·         You put your money in and the ticket comes out of the machine.
B
COME BACK AND COME HOME

Come back means ‘return to this place here’.
·         She went away for three days. She came back yesterday. (She is here again.)
Come back is often used with from.
·         They came back from Italy yesterday.

Come home is similar; ‘home’ is ‘here’ for the person speaking.
MUM: What time did you come home last night?
SADIE: Oh, about 3 o’clock.
MUM: What! That’s much too late!
C
OTHER IMPORTANT USES OF COME

A: What country do you come from?
B: I’m from Poland. / I come from Poland. / I’m Polish.

We’re going clubbing tonight. Do you want to come along [come with us]?
Come and see me some time. [visit me]

Common mistakes
I come from Poland [NOT I’m coming from Poland].

TIP
Write down any prepositions you find with come every time you see them.

Exercises
42.1
Fill the gaps in the sentences.

1
I put money in, but the ticket didn’t come ______out of______ the machine.
2
A: I’m going to Thailand tomorrow.
B: Oh! When are you coming ____________?
A: In two weeks.
3
The teacher came ____________ the classroom and started the lesson.
4
A: Where do you come ____________?
B: I’m Spanish.
5
Come and ____________me at 5 o’clock; we can talk about it then.
6
The children come ____________school at 4 o’clock.
42.2
What do you think these people are saying? Use words from the box.

come from         come in       come along        come here
42.3
Fill the gaps using come in the correct form.

1
Did you _____come______ for your letters? They’re on the table.
2
She ________________back yesterday.
3
He ________________here every Tuesday.
4
________________you ________________to the party tonight?
5
Pierre ________________ from a small town in Luxembourg.
42.4
Answer these questions for yourself.

1
What time do you come home every day?
2
What country do you come from?
3
What do you do when you come into your classroom?

OVER TO YOU

Look up these verbs in a dictionary. Write down the meaning and one example for each verb. After a week, cover the verbs and examples, look at the meanings and see if you can remember the verbs.

Verb
Meaning
Example
come round
__________________________
____________________________
come across
____________________________
____________________________
come up
____________________________
____________________________


ANSWER KEY

42.2
2
back (home)
3
into
4
from
5
see

6
out of/ back from/home from

42.2
2
Come here!
3
We’re going to a party. Do you want to come along?
4
I come from France.

42.3
2
came
3
comes
4
are; coming
5
comes

42.4
Possible answers
1
I usually come home at five-thirty.
2
I’m from / I come from Scotland / Jamaica / Pakistan / Latvia / Bolivia, etc.
3
I sit down and talk to my friends / take out my books.


OVER TO YOU

Possible meanings and example sentences:
1 Meaning: ‘come round’ can mean ‘come to someone’s house or flat’.
Example: Do you want to come round this afternoon for a coffee?

2 Meaning: ‘come across’ can mean ‘meet or find for the first time’.
Example: I come across lots of new words when I read English books.

3 Meaning: ‘come up’ can mean ‘be mentioned or occur in conversation’.
Example: When new words come up in class, the teacher tells us the meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments