Tuesday 29 October 2019

TAKE/TOOK/TAKEN(43) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
TAKE/TOOK/TAKEN(43)


A
TAKE WITH TIME (IT + TAKE + PERSON + TIME)

It takes Alan 20 minutes to get to work.
Alan’s house 20 minutes Alans office

It takes Grace 45 minutes to get to work.
Grace’s flat 45 minutes Graces office

I go to school / university every day. It takes me 30 minutes.
I do homework every day. It took /tÊŠk/ me two hours yesterday.

A: How long does it take to get to the station?
B: Fifteen minutes in a taxi.
A: How long did it take you to learn the Greek alphabet?
B: A week or two.
B
TAKE SOMETHING WITH YOU
 
Are you going out? Take an umbrella. It’s raining.
Are you going to the beach? Take some water with you.
Sorry, you can’t take your camera into the museum
C
EXPRESSIONS


Can I take a photo / photograph here? /ˈfəʊtəʊ/ /ˈfəʊtəgrɑæf/

A: Are you taking an English course? B: Yes.
A: Do you have to take an exam? B: Yes, at the end of the course.
I want to take some Japanese lessons.
How do you get to work? I take the bus.
In London you can take the underground to the London Eye.

We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel.
How does Nick get to work? He takes the train.

TIP
Make a page in your notebook for take and put in new words that go with it when you see them (e.g. take a picture, take a look at, take a chance).

Exercises
43.1
Fill the gaps yourself.

1
It _____takes _____me ____________ minutes to get to school / university / work.
2
It takes me ____________ minutes to go from my house to the nearest railway station.
3
It takes me ____________ minutes to get to my best friend’s house.
4
____________ takes me ____________ to do one unit of this book.
42.2
Complete the sentences using take and an expression from the box.

a course      some water     the train     an exam
1
At the end of the course, you have to
_____take an exam_____.
2
You can fly from London to Paris or you can
______________________
3
You want to learn Russian? Why don’t you
______________________
4
If you go out on a hot day, you need to
______________________
43.3
Look at the pictures. Answer the questions using take.


43.4
What do you take with you when …



1
you want to take photographs?
_____________I take my camera._______
2
it’s raining?
____________________________________
3
you go to another country?
____________________________________
4
you go to your English lessons?
____________________________________
5
you need to text someone?
____________________________________
43.5
How long did it take you to do this unit?


ANSWER KEY

43.1
Possible answers
1
It takes me 10 minutes to get to university.
2
It takes me 30 minutes to go from my house to the nearest railway station.
3
It takes me 20 minutes to get to my best friend’s house.
4
It takes me an hour to do one unit of this book.

43.2
2
take the train
3
take a course
4
take some water

43.3
2
You can / have to take a taxi.
3
He takes the bus.
4
They take the underground.

43.4
2
I take my / an umbrella.
3
I take my passport.
4
I take my notebook and pen.
5
I take my mobile (phone).

43.5
Possible answer:

It took me about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments