Thursday 17 October 2019

THE MEDIA (35) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
THE MEDIA (35)

A
Radio and TV programmes

The news is on TV at 6 o’clock every night. [important things that happen]
Do you watch soaps / soap operas? Home and Away is my favourite. [Soaps are stories about people’ lives. They are often on TV every day.]
I like nature programmes best. [programmes about animals, birds, etc.]
I watched a documentary last night about drugs and crime. [programme looking at a social problem or question]
In talk shows, people talk about themselves or discuss topics with an interviewer.
The children watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. (For example, Disney films with animals that talk. See Unit 24: Cinema.)
My brother likes watching reality TV [programmes that film real people living their lives, not actors].
I always watch sports programmes.
B
Newspapers and magazines

In most countries there are morning (news)papers and evening (news)papers.
Every month, I buy a magazine.
My mother buys women’s magazines.
I like news magazines like Newsweek and Time.
In most magazines and newspapers there are lots of adverts / advertisements [something that tries to persuade people to buy something].

Other types of magazines: sports magazines / computer magazines / teenage magazines. (See Unit 25: Free time at home.)
C
People and the media
There was an interview with the US President on TV last night.
The reporters are outside the film star’s house. [people who go out and get the news stories where they happen]
My sister is a journalist; she writes for The Oxford Times newspaper. [person who writes articles]
D
Expressions

You can read newspapers or watch TV online.
What’s your favourite TV programme?
What’s on TV tonight?
Is it OK if I change the channel?

common mistakes
The news is on now. [NOT The news are on now.]

Exercises
35.1
Fill the gaps in these sentences.

1
Ten million people watch this _____programme_____ every week. It’s very popular.
2
The news _____________ on channel 3 at 9 o’clock every night.
3
There was a _____________ about traffic problems in cities on TV last night.
4
I saw a _____________ programme about birds in Antarctica.
5
My sister is 13; she reads a _____________ magazine every week. She likes the stories about boys.
6
With my mobile I can read the sports news _____________.
7
I’d like to watch the news now. Is it OK if I _____________the channel?
8
Did you see the _____________with the Prime Minister last night?
35.2
Match the left-hand column with the type of programme on the right.

1
Talking about family problems
a
International news
2
Film of elephants in Africa
b
Sports programme
3
Football cup final
c
Reality TV programme
4
Reports from all over the world
d
Soap (opera)
5
Maria decides not to marry Philip
e
Nature programme
6
Ten people in a house - they cannot leave or talk to anyone outside
f
Talk show
35.3
What do you call …

1
a person who goes out and gets stories for newspapers?
a reporter
2
a person who writes articles in newspapers and magazines?

3
a newspaper you can buy every day after about 5 pm?

4
a programme with stories made from lots of pictures?

5
a programme on TV about animals, birds, etc?

6
something in a magazine or on TV that tries to sell something?

7
something like CNN or Sky Sports?

8
a meeting when a reporter asks a person questions for TV or a newspaper?

35.4
Answer these questions for yourself.

1
Do you read a morning or an evening newspaper?
2
Do you read newspapers online?
3
What kinds of magazine do you read?
4
What will you watch on TV tonight?
5
What is your favourite TV channel?
6
How many hours of TV do you watch every day?
7
What are your favourite kinds of TV programmes?
8
Do you ever watch TV online?
9
Do you like watching adverts on TV?


ANSWER KEY
35.1
2
is
6
online
3
documentary
7
change
4
nature
8
interview
5
teenage



35.2
2 e      3 b       4 a          5 d        6 c

35.3
2
a journalist
6
an advert / advertisement
3
an evening (news)paper
7
a (TV) channel
4
a cartoon
8
an interview
5
a nature programme



35.4
Possible answers
1
I always read an evening newspaper.
2
Yes, I usually read the main stories in the morning.
3
I like news magazines.
4
I’ll probably watch my favourite soap on TV tonight.

5
My favourite TV channel is BBC1.

6
I watch about an hour of TV every day.

7
I like talk shows and reality TV.

8
I watch TV online once or twice a week.

9
No, I don’t like watching adverts on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments