Sunday 27 October 2019

GO WENT GONE (39) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
GO WENT GONE (39)


A
GO
Go means to move from one place to another.
I go to work by bike. My brother goes by car.
We went to Paris last summer.
Is this train going to Granada?
Shall we go to the swimming pool today?
Where does this road go?
B
GO + PREPOSITIONS

 
Ethan went in(to) his room and shut the door.
Jacob was tired. He went up the stairs slowly.
Yuko went out of the house and into the garden.
The phone was ringing. She went down the stairs quickly.
C
FUTURE PLANS

Be going to is often used to talk about future plans.
Jan is going to study maths at university.
We’re going to visit my aunt in New York soon.
I’m going to learn five new words every day.
D
EXPRESSIONS GO + -ING FOR ACTIVITIES

Go is often used with -ing for different activities.

I hate going shopping.
I usually go swimming in the morning.
Let’s go dancing.
Do you like going sightseeing when you are on holiday?
Hans goes skiing every winter.
Carter is going fishing today.

Common  Mistakes

Let’s go swimming and then go shopping. [NOT Let’s go to / for swimming and then go to / for shopping.]
I go there every week. I don’t want to go anywhere / somewhere else. [NOT I go to there every week. I don’t want to go to anywhere / somewhere else.]
I must go home at 10 o’clock. [NOT I must go to / at home at 10 o’clock.]

Exercises
39.1
Where are these people going? Follow the lines.

1
Mateo is going to the zoo.________________________________________
2
The Sharps ________________________________________
3
Zoe and Penelope ________________________________________
4
Asad ________________________________________
5
Lars ________________________________________
39.2
Write about Victoria’s New Year Resolutions.
1
This year
________________________________
2
This year
________________________________
3
This year
________________________________
4
This year
________________________________
5
This year
________________________________
393
Look at the activities in D opposite. Which do you do on holiday? Write sentences.


I usually go shopping on holiday.
39.4
Where do trains, buses and roads go to from your town?

From Cambridge, trains go to London and to Norwich.
39.5
Are these sentences correct? If not, correct them.

1
It’s time to go at home now.
X It’s time to go home now.
8
I go to swimming every Sunday morning.
2
Mum is going for shopping this afternoon.
9
We’re going sightsee today.
3
I’m going to London by car tomorrow.
10
Jo went down to the top of the hill.
4
I love Paris. Did you go to there last year?
11
Let’s go to fish today.
5
Alexei is going to home at 4 o’clock.
12
She went out off the shop.
6
We always go to the same café. Let’s go to somewhere different today.
13
Please go away. I’m tired.
7
Excuse me, please. Where does this bus go?
14
Would you like to go to home now?

OVER TO YOU

Look in an English magazine or newspaper. Find five examples of go.
Write them down in your vocabulary notebook.


ANSWER KEY

39.1
2
The Sharps are going to the beach.
3
Zoe and Penelope are going shopping / to the shopping centre.
4
Asad is going to Cairo.
5
Lars is going fishing.

39.2
2
This year Victoria is going to pass her driving test.
3
This year Victoria is going to learn Spanish.
4
This year Victoria is going to watch less TV.
5
This year Victoria is going to keep her room tidy.

39.3
Possible answers:

I sometimes go swimming.
I never go skiing.
I sometimes go dancing.
I never go fishing.
I always go sightseeing.

39.4
Possible answers:

From Cambridge, trains go to London, Norwich, Ely and Peterborough. Buses go to Oxford, to Heathrow and to Scotland from Cambridge. From Cambridge roads go to London, to Huntingdon and to the sea.

39.5
2
Mum is going shopping this afternoon.
3
4
I love Paris. Did you go there last year?
5
Alexei is going home at 4 o’clock.
6
We always go to the same café. Let’s go somewhere different today.
7
8
I go swimming every Sunday morning.
9
We’re going sightseeing today.
10
Jo went up to the top of the hill. / Jo went down to the bottom of the hill.
11
Let’s go fishing today.
12
She went out of the shop.
13
14
Would you like to go home now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments