Tuesday 29 October 2019

GET/GOT/GOT(45) ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY


ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR ELEMENTARY
GET/GOT/GOT(45)


A
GET WITH ADJECTIVES: FOR CHANGES


I’m getting tired. I want to go to bed.
It’s raining! I’m getting wet!
B
GET WITH NOUNS

If you don’t have something you can get it. [get = buy or find]
I want to send a postcard. I have to get a stamp.
I’m going to the shop to get a newspaper.
Do you want a drink? I can get some coffee.
Where can I get a taxi?
I’ve finished my studies. Now I want to get a job.
My friend is ill! Please get a doctor.
C
EXPRESSIONS

Maria and David are getting married in April.

A: When you get to New York, call me. [arrive at, reach]
B: OK, give me your number.

A: How can I get to the airport?
B: Take the airport bus at the bus station.

I’ll see you when you get back from Hong Kong. [return, come home]
(See also get up in Unit 47.)

COMMON MISTAKES

When I get home, I have my lunch [NOT When I get to home].
I get there at 6 o’clock, so please ring me at 6.30 [NOT I get to there].

Exercises
45.1
1
I studied too much and I got
A
hot
B
tired
C
sick
2
I ate too much and I got
A
hot
B
tired
C
sick
3
I sat in the sun too much and I got
A
hot
B
tired
C
sick
4
In winter in the north it gets
A
tired
B
dark
C
wet vey early
5
Vincent got very
A
dark
B
better
C
wet in the rain
Complete these sentences using a, b or c.
45.2
Complete these sentences using the correct form of get and a word from the box.

better           light           dark         cold          wet
1
The sun is going down. It ’s getting dark._______________
2
When the sun comes up it __________________________________
3
She’s in hospital but she __________________________________
4
It’s raining! I __________________________________
5
Please close the window. I __________________________________
45.3
What / Who do you get if …

1
you want to post a letter?
_____a stamp__________
2
somebody is ill?
_______________________
3
you are thirsty?
_______________________
4
you want to write something down?
_______________________
5
you want to read the news?
_______________________
6
you want to go to the airport?
_______________________
7
you want to earn some money?
_______________________
8
you want to go out and it’s raining?
_______________________
45.4
Complete these sentences

1
This plane ____gets to_____ Paris at 12.30.
2
The bus from the university _______________ my house in 25 minutes.
3
When does the flight from Moscow _______________ London?
4
José usually leaves work at 6 and _______________ home at 6.30.
5
Mike is in New York. He won’t _______________ till the 14th July.
45.5
Answer the questions. Write sentences.

1
In your country, how old are people usually when they get married?
2
When do people usually get married? Which day? Which month(s)?
3
What time do you usually get home every day? How do you get there?


ANSWER KEY

45.1
2
c sick
3
a hot
4
b dark
5
c wet

45.2
2
When the sun comes up it gets light.
3
She’s in hospital but she’s getting better.
4
It’s raining! I’m getting wet!
5
Please close the window. I’m getting cold.

45.3
2
a doctor
7
a job
3
a drink
8
an umbrella/ a raincoat
4
a pen/pencil and paper


5
a newspaper


6
a taxi/ a bus/ a train



45.4
2
gets to
3
get to
4
gets (back)
5
get back/ home

45.5
Possible answers
1
In Britain, people usually get married when they are 20 to 30 years old.
2
People usually get married at the weekend, mostly on Saturday. April, May and June are very popular months (spring and summer).
3
I get home at about 5 o’clock. I get there by car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments