Wednesday 12 September 2018

2. Parts of the body I (Professional English in Use Medicine)


2. Parts of the body I

A.            Parts of the body

Most external parts of the body have ordinary English names as well as anatomical names. Doctors normally use the English names, even when talking to each other. There are a few exceptions where doctors use the anatomical name; these are shown in brackets below.

1
jaw (mandible)
2
neck
3
shoulder
4
armpit (axilla)
5
upper arm
6
elbow
7
back
8
buttock
9
wrist
10
thigh
11
calf
12
leg
13
chest (thorax)
14
breast
15
stomach, tummy (abdomen)
16
navel (umbilicus)
17
hip
18
groin (inguinal region)
19
knee (patella=kneecap)
20
shin

Limb means arm (upper limb) or leg (lower limb). The trunk is the body excluding the head and limbs.
B.             Referring to parts of the body
When patients speak about their problem they often refer to a part of the body.
I’m having trouble with my
hip.
shoulder.
knee.

 The doctor often needs to ask about his back pain and the parts of the body it radiates to
Do you get any pain in
the
your
chest?
stomach?
back?

C.            Describing radiation of pain
A patient is telling the doctor about his back pain and parts of the body it radiates to.

It starts in the back. Then it seems to go into the right buttock and down the back of the right thigh to the knee.

2.1
Write the ordinary English words for the corresponding anatomical terms in the table using your medical knowledge. Look at A opposite to help you.

Anatomical term
Common word
abdomen

axilla

carpus

coxa

cubitus

mamma

nates

patella

2.2
Complete the sentences using ordinary English words. Look A and C opposite to help you.
a)      A male patient describing angina pectoris:
It’s like a tightness across my (1) _________, and it goes up (2) _________ my (3) _________ and into my left (4) _________ and (5) _________ the left (6) _________.
b)     A male patient describing renal colic:
It starts (1) _________ the loin and goes into the (2) _________ and (3) _________ into the testicle.
2.3
Complete the sentences. Look at A opposite to help you.


Anatomical term
Patient’s statement
1
ingunal swelling
I’ve got a lump in the _______________
2
abdominal pain
My little boy’s got a _______________ache.
3
periumbilical rash
I’ve got some spots around my _______________
4
thoracic pain
I’ve got a pain in the middle of the _______________
5
enlarged axillary node
There’s a painful swelling in my _______________
6
mandibular pain
I’ve got a pain in my _______________
2.4
Complete the table with words from the box. The first one has been done for you.

abdomen
elbow
loin
wrist
thigh
knee
chest
arm
leg
finger

Trunk
Upper limb
Lower limb
abdomen







ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments