Friday 21 September 2018

Test 4 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 1 FCE Practice Test Plus 1


FCE Practice Test Plus 1
Test 4 Paper 1 (Reading) Part 1


You are going to read about an island off the coast of south-west England. Choose the most suitable heading from the list A-I for each part (1-7) of the article. There is one extra heading which you do not need to use. There is an example at the beginning (O).

Mark your answers on the separate answer sheet.

A
A natural fortress
D
A lack of variety
G
A surprising impression
B
An unfortunate choice
E
A chance to escape
H
An unexpected development
C
An undeserved reputation
F
A range of facilities
I
A mystery solved


Across to Lundy Island
Andrew Osmond took a boat to Lundy- an island where the weather is no laughing matter
0
I
I had always been slightly puzzled as to why the boat trip to Lundy Island, eleven miles off the coast of Devon in south-west England, takes such a long time. The scheduled two-hour journey time seems excessive. Now, three hours into the voyage, the island felt no nearer than when I had boarded the ship. I began to understand something of Lundy's isolation, for this stretch of water, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Bristol Channel can be very rough.
1

The captain's voice came over the loudspeaker, 'Would all day visitors please report to the main lounge area.' It was the only thing to make me smile during the whole voyage; the shocked expression on the faces of the day-trippers as they realised they'd have to spend the night on the island because the sea was too rough tor the return crossing. Those of us who had pre-booked
accommodation on the island could afford to look smug.
2

My thoughts were already turning to the warm little stone house that was awaiting my arrival on dry land. And suddenly, we were there. Lundy presents a formidable face to seaborne arrivals. Its cliffs rise 400 feet, along the island's three-mile length, and fingers of rock jut out into the sea, making the water dance white with agitation. It is not surprising that the island has resisted all
attempts at invasion over the centuries.
3

The tiny collection of stone buildings that make up the village of Lundy are situated at the southern end of the island, and here you find the only anchorage too. The clear blue water of the landing bay made me think we must have taken a wrong tum at sea and somehow found ourselves coming ashore on one of the Greek Islands. I had never seen such beautiful waters around the English coast.
4

Before leaving home, I had read that Lundy was famous for its diving and snorkelling, but I had laughed at the idea of swimming in these cold seas and had left my snorkel and face mask behind. Now, confronted with this brilliant-blue truth, I was almost beginning to regret my decision. I would certainly come to regret leaving behind my hooded waterproof jacket and my torch, in favour of a smart shirt for the evenings that was clearly not needed.
5

The absence of any true native population on Lundy means that as a tourist, you don’t feel that you are invading anyone's privacy. Most of the residents are people employed to look after the welfare of visitors. The rental accommodation is both imaginative and evocative of the island's past. There are 166 buildings for rent. You can choose between a 12-room castle, a fisherman’s
cottage or, like me, a modest lighthouse keeper's house.
6

When I told people that I was going to Lundy, the most frequent remarks were, 'Won't you be bored and lonely?' and 'Isn't it only for bird-watchers?' What surprised me on arrival was just how diverse a range of activities my fellow travellers were planning. As well as divers, there were rock-climbers, artists, naturalists and, of course, some birdwatchers because Lundy is deservedly famous as a haven for all kinds of seabirds
7

But, should you be thinking of a trip to Lundy, remember that you don't have to take part in the outdoor pursuits. The most popular activity on Lundy these days must be doing very little. I went for rest and relaxation and found it in abundance. I suggest taking a good book and then finding a sheltered corner where you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and the incomparable tranquillity.


ANSWER KEY
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
H
A
G
B
F
C
E


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments