Thursday 6 September 2018

IDIOMS AND COLLOQUIALISMS 3 (Check your vocabulary for TOEFL)


Page 19-20
Check your vocabulary for TOEFL
IDIOMS AND COLLOQUIALISMS 3

Connect the first part of each sentence in the first box on this page with the second half in the
second box on the next page. Use the expressions in bold to help you make the connection.

1
If you come late, could you please let me…
A
…big on science; I've always preferred the arts.
2
I was rather unhappy when she made a
B
the ground.
3
The project was more or
C
whole it's really good.
4
I just need to complete this essay, and then my coursework will be over once and
D

start, isn't it?
5
His lectures are generally really dull, but once in
E
all you've got and hope for the best.
6
I've never been too
F
for all. It'll be a real relief.
7
There are parts of the course which are a bit boring, but on the
G
mind, making a stupid decision like that.
8
Don't try to do everything at once. Try to do things step by
H
step until you've finished.
9
There's a chance that sooner or
I
up when I try to describe it on paper.
10
When you first start a new job, it can take a while to learn the
J
the other when I see my exam results.
11
I know you have a lot of work, but look on the bright
K
care of it at the earliest opportunity.
12
The President can't be in his right
L
leg. Right?
13
You shouldn't go over his
M
my mind about attending Professor Malkovich's course.
14
You're kidding. You're pulling my
N
for it and see what happens.
15
It can be difficult to make ends
O
meet when you're a student on a low income.
16
Try to make the most of your
P
later the students will demand some real changes.
17
I asked Ron to get the computer fixed, and he promised to take
Q
ropes and become familiar with the way things work.
18
I understand the theory, but I get mixed
R
head and make your own decisions.
19
Don't worry about the exam. Just give it
S
point of reminding me about my previous bad grades.
20
I'm not sure whether to take a vacation this summer. I'll decide one way or
T
less complete when someone pointed out they had missed some details
21
I wasn't sure whether to apply for a Ph.D. course, but in the end I decided to go
U
know in advance.
22
I got a grade A for my first assignment of the year. That's a good
V
time when you're in New York.
23
For years he was ignored, then all at
W
side; at least you won't get bored this weekend!
24
Many people believe that it's about
X
a while there's something of interest.
25
I've changed
Y
time more money was invested in education.
26
He had some excellent plans, but they never really got off
Z
once, people began paying attention to what he had to say.

ANSWER KEY

1.     U
2.     S
3.
4. F  
5. X  
6. A  
7. C  
8. H  
9. P  
10. Q  
11.W  
12. G  
13. R  
14. L  
15. O  
16. V  
17. K
18. I  
19. E  
20. J  
21.N  
22.D 23.Z 24.
25.M 26. B

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments