Monday 27 September 2021

UNIT 1 Section 2 (B) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 1 Section 2 (B)

 

Derivatives

A. Look at the sentences below. What part of speech (verb, noun, adjective or adverb) is each of the words in bold type?

My sister is a careful driver.

The assistant handled the goods with care.

He cares about his dog.

I’m terribly sorry for my rude behaviour.

The students listened to their teacher carefully.

The weather was terrible last weekend.

 


B. Choose the correct word A, B or C to complete the following sentences.

1

The zoo's main ___________________________ are the pandas.

A

attractively

B

attractive

C

attraction

2

The teacher was ___________________________ with the student because he didn’t do his homework.

A

anger

B

angry

C

angrily

3

Before I set off on my journey, my father told me to drive___________________________.

A

safe

B

safety

C

safely

4

What's the___________________________ between increase and decrease?

A

difference

B

differently

C

different

5

I hired a ___________________________ to take pictures at my wedding.

A

photographer

B

photography

C

photographic

6

Despite his age, he leads an ___________________________ life.

A

activity

B

acting

C

active

7

She completed the project ___________________________ and was promoted.

A

success

B

successfully

C

successful

 

C. Read the sentences below and decide what part of speech is missing. Then, complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in capitals.

 

1

I love sitting on my new sofa. It's so (Part of speech:______________________) _______________________ .

 

COMFORT

2

She chose light-coloured furniture to (Part of speech:______________________) ____________________ up her dull flat.

 

BRIGHT

3

It’s certainly (Part of speech:_____________________) ________________________to drive at high speed.

 

DANGER

4

August is a (Part of speech ________________  ) __________________ month in our city, as  everyone is away on holiday.

 

PEACE

5

The (Part of speech:_____________________ ) _______________________ held up the bank and stole £200 000.

 

ROB

6

Nobody could find the (Part of speech:_____________________ ) _______________________ to the difficult Maths problem.

 

SOLVE

7

Even though they had financial difficulties, they were (Part of speech:_____________________ ) ______________________ married.

 

HAPPY

8

I feel very (Part of speech:_____________________ ) _______________________ today. I think I’ll have some coffee.

 

SLEEP

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS EXERCISE 

ANSWER KEY


B

1

C

2

B

3

C

4

A

5

A

6

C

7

B

C

1

adjective / comfortable

2

verb/ brighten

3

adjective/ dangerous

4

adjective/ peaceful

5

noun/ robber

6

noun/ solution

7

adverb/ happily

8

adjective/ sleepy

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments