Thursday 23 September 2021

UNIT 9 Indefinite Pronouns TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 9

Indefinite Pronouns

EXERCISE A

Choose the correct indefinite pronoun and write its number in the brackets.

 

1

Has ___________ got my pen?

(1)

nothing

(2)

something

(3)

everything

(4)

somebody

2

My pen-friend has sent me __________ by post.

I wonder what it is!

(1)

everything

(2)

anything

(3)

something

(4)

nothing

3

I went to my friend’s house but there was __________ there.

(1)

everybody

(2)

anybody

(3)

nothing

(4)

nobody

4

I know I have to phone __________ but I can’t remember who!

(1)

someone

(2)

something

(3)

no one

(4)

everyone

5

Sorry, what did you say?

__________, I didn't say a word!

(1)

Everything

(2)

Nobody

(3)

Nothing

(4)

Something

6

Oh! I've got __________ in my eye. It hurts!

(1)

someone

(2)

something

(3)

anything

(4)

nothing

7

__________ of the answers are correct.

(1)

None

(2)

Nobody

(3)

Something

(4)

Everything

8

__________ wants to be happy.

(1)

No one

(2)

Everything

(3)

Everyone

(4)

Nothing

9

Children, make sure you take __________ home with you this afternoon. Remember to take all your work and all your other belongings.

(1)

anything

(2)

nothing

(3)

none

(4)

everything

10

Dad, __________ phoned for you but I don't know who it was.

(1)

no one

(2)

someone

(3)

everyone

(4)

something

11

__________ is going out to play until you have all finished the exercise!

(1)

Everybody

(2)

Somebody

(3)

Nobody

(4)

Nothing

12

Jill: Sh!

Katy: What?

Jill: I thought I heard __________.

(1)

something

(2)

nothing

(3)

everything

(4)

anyone

 

EXERCISE B

Choose the correct indefinite pronoun in brackets to fill in the gaps.

 

The rescue attempt

Last year, the town where my aunt and uncle live was flooded. The river had burst its banks and the news said that a lot of the town was under a metre of water! The news presenter also said, "If you know (1) ______ (no one / someone) who lives in the town, please ring the special number." I rang the number but (2) ______ (nobody / somebody) answered. So I decided to do (3) ______ (something / everything) to help. I thought that if (4) ______ (everybody / everything) did a little (5) ______ (nothing / something) to help, it would help (6) ______ (someone / everyone). I thought about what my aunt and uncle would need and put (7) _______ (everything / nothing) into a big backpack: a torch, food, some bottled water, and a warm blanket. I also took my mobile phone. I started walking towards the town. It was dark and very quiet, and I saw (8) _____ (nobody /everybody) in the streets. When I got to the outskirts of the town, the police and ambulances were already there. I started to look for my aunt and uncle and even asked some people, but (9) ______ (no one / none) of them seemed to have seen my aunt and uncle. Suddenly my phone rang. It was my father and he wanted to know where I was. I told him (10) ______ (nothing / everything). Then he said, "Well done, son, but you can come home now. Your aunt and uncle are safe with us!"

 

EXERCISE C

Choose the correct indefinite pronoun in brackets to fill in the gaps.

A lucky day

One day, Alan Smith the policeman had finished work and was walking home when he thought he heard (1) _____ (something / nothing). He turned around but could see (2) _____ (something / nothing). "That's funny!" he thought. He carried on walking and then he heard a noise again. He turned around quickly. "Yes," he thought. "I did hear (3) _____ (something / nothing). I think (4) _____ (someone / everyone) is following me." He looked around but he could see (5) _____ (somebody / nobody). He carried on walking and heard the noise again. "I must do (6) _____ (everything / something)," he thought. He looked around for a place to wait but there was nowhere to hide. Then he saw a man walking towards him. "He looks familiar," said the policeman to himself. "But (7) _____ (nobody / none) of my friends would be following me at this time of the night." The man came up to the policeman and stopped. The policeman looked at him and tried hard to think which (8) _____ (one / someone) of his friends he was. Then he asked the man, "Are you (9) _____ (someone / anyone) I've met before? Do I know you?"

The man replied, "But (10) _____ (somebody / everybody) knows me! I present the 'It's Your Lucky Day' programme on television. And today, Inspector Smith, it's your lucky day!"

ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments