Thursday 30 September 2021

UNIT 23 Future Events: Using the Present Continuous Tense or ‘will’ TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 23

Future Events: Using the Present Continuous Tense or ‘will’

 

EXERCISE A

Choose the correct present continuous form of the verb or will + verb to show future actions. Write its number in the brackets..

 

1

Paul's a great player. I'm sure he ______________ the match.

(1)

wins

(2)

will wins

(3)

will win

(4)

will to win

2

Grandma thinks she _________________ better tomorrow.

(1)

will feel

(2)

feels

(3)

will to feel

(4)

will feels

3

Mum, dad phoned. He _________________ probably _________________ late home tonight.

(1)

will/ to be

(2)

will/ is

(3)

is/ to be

(4)

will/ be

4

Do you think it _________________ tomorrow?

(1)

will to rain

(2)

will rains

(3)

will rain

(4)

rains

5

What _________________ the world _________________ like in 2050?

(1)

will/ be

(2)

does/ be

(3)

is/ to be

(4)

will/ is

6

_________________ you _________________ your mother this letter, please?

(1)

Will/ gives

(2)

will/ give

(3)

Do/ give

(4)

will/ to give

7

I _________________ the recorder in the concert on Saturday.

(1)

do play

(2)

plays

(3)

am playing

(4)

is playing

8

We _________________ away this weekend.

(1)

are not go

(2)

are not going

(3)

do not go

(4)

are not to go

9

Peter _________________ at the club all day next Saturday.

(1)

is swim

(2)

is to swim

(3)

is swimming

(4)

swims

10

I'm really excited. My English pen-friend _________________ to stay.

(1)

comes

(2)

is coming

(3)

is come

(4)

is to come

11

What _________________ you tonight? Anything interesting?

(1)

do/ do

(2)

do/ doing

(3)

are/ to do

(4)

are/ doing

12

_________________ your parents _________________ to watch you play football this afternoon?

(1)

Are/ coming

(2)

Do/ come

(3)

Are/ to come

(4)

Do/ coming

 

EXERCISE B

Fill in the gaps with will + the verb in brackets to show future actions and events.

In the car

Boy:

Mum, I'm bored! When (1) ________ we ________ (get) there?

Mother:

I think we (2) ________ (arrive) in time for a swim before tea.

Boy:

(3) ____ Uncle Paul and Aunty Lucy ____ (be) there?

Mother:

No, I think they (4) ________ (arrive) later this evening.

Boy:

(5) ________ they ________ (bring) the dog?

Mother:

No, they (6) ________ (leave) it at the kennels.

Boy:

Oh, what a shame. Mum, what (7) ________ we ________ (have) for tea?

Mother:

I don't know. We (8) ________ (decide) when we get there.

Boy:

I think I (9) ________ (have) a burger!

Mother:

I don't think the burger cafe (10) ________ (be) open.

Boy:

Oh, no! What (11) ________ we ________ (eat) then?

Mother:

I (12) ________ (think) of something, don't worry.

Boy:

Mum?

Mother:

Yes.

Boy:

I'm still bored!

 

EXERCISE C

Fill in the gaps with the correct present continuous form of the verb in brackets to show future events and actions.

Family breakfast

Mother:

Ok, everybody, what (1) _________ you all _________ (do) today?

Sally:

I (2) _________ (have) my first piano lesson this morning and then I (3) _________ (see) Anna this afternoon.

Mother:

(4) _________ Sue _________ (go) with you?

Sally:

No, she (5) _________ (go) shopping with her mother.

Mother:

Tom, what (6) _________ you _________ (do)?

Tom:

I (7) _________ (play) football with Jim and some friends after lunch, and this evening we (8) _________ (go) to the cinema.

Mother:

Oh yes, I remember. His father (9) _________ (take) you.

Tom:

That's right.

Mother:

Good. Paul, what are your plans?

Father:

I think I'll do some gardening this morning and this afternoon I (10) _________ (play) golf with Ted.

Mother:

That's fine because I (11) _________ (have) tea with our new neighbour this afternoon. This evening we (12) _________ (have) dinner with Mr and Mrs Chen, so don't be late home from your golf!

Father:

I won't. Now, I'll get started on the garden. Come on Tom, you can help me.

Tom:

Oh, thanks Dad, but... er... I think I'll do my homework instead!

 

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments