Monday 27 September 2021

UNIT 1 Section 2 (C) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 1 Section 2 (C)

 

Examination Practice

A Read the text below and decide which answer A, B, C or D best fits each space.

FINDING EMPLOYMENT


My first (1) ___________ was as a sales (2) ___________ at a large department store. I wanted to work part-time, because I was still studying (3) ___________ university and I was only (4 )________________________to work a few nights a week.

I came (5) ___________ the advertisement in the local newspaper. I remember the interview as though (6) ___________ were yesterday. The personnel manager sat behind a large desk. He asked me various questions which surprised me because all I wanted was to work in sales. An hour later, I was told that I had got the job and was given a contract to go (7) ___________. I was to be trained for ten days before I took my post. Also, as a member of (8)_______________________ I was entitled to some benefits, including discounts.

When I eventually started, I was responsible (9) ___________ the toy section. I really enjoyed it there  and I loved demonstrating the different toys. I was surprised at how friendly my (10) ___________ were, too. They made working there fun even when we had to (11)____________________ customers who (12)____________________on our nerves. On the whole, working there was a great experience which I will never forget.

 

1

A

occupation

B

job

C

work

D

employment

2

A

employee

B

attendant

C

officer

D

assistant

3

A

in

B

on

C

at

D

for

4

A

excellent

B

able

C

proud

D

experienced

5

A

across

B

into

C

on

D

round

6

A

it

B

I

C

that

D

there

7

A

on

B

over

C

ahead

D

with

8

A

staff

B

crew

C

team

D

party

9

A

of

B

at

C

with

D

for

10

A

assistants

B

staff

C

colleagues

D

employees

11

A

control

B

deal with

C

manage

D

cooperate

12

A

came

B

went

C

got

D

were

 

B. Complete the text below with the correct form of the words in capitals.

AN UNUSUAL OUTING

 

Last week I made a (1)_____ to my cousin Alex, offering to

 

SUGGEST

 

take him to an (2)____________________ park. He was very excited because it

 

AMUSE

 

was his (3) _________ place. However, from the moment I picked

 

FAVOUR

 

him up, he was very (4) ____________which surprised me since

 

NOISE

 

his behaviour was (5)______________________ very different. At one point,

 

NORMAL

 

while waiting to get on a ride, he disappeared. (6)______________,

 

LUCK

 

the manager, who was very (7)______________________ .found him an hour

 

HELP

 

later amongst a crowd. Apparently, Alex had seen a famous basketball player and

 

 

 

wanted his autograph. He (8)______________________ to me immediately but I

 

APOLOGY

 

was so (9)______________________ at him that we left. It was then that I made

 

ANGER

 

the (10)______________________never to take Alex out again.

 

DECIDE

ANSWER KEY

A

1

job

2

assistant

3

at

4

able

5

across

6

it

7

over

8

staff

9

for

10

colleagues

11

deal with

12

got

B

1

suggestion

2

amusement

3

favourite

4

noisy

5

normally

6

luckily

7

helpful

8

apologised

9

angry

10

decision

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments