Monday 27 September 2021

UNIT 2 Section 2 (B) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 2 Section 2 (B)

 

Derivatives

Derivatives are formed from noun roots, adjective roots and verb roots. In this unit we will deal with adjectives, adverbs and nouns which derive from certain noun roots.


 

Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in capitals.

1

The top model was ____________________________ dressed in an elegant evening gown.

 

BEAUTY

2

My street is ____________________________ because it’s far from any main roads.

 

PEACE

3

Our football team won the ____________________________ at the end of the season and received ____________________________ from a large company.

 

CHAMPION

SPONSOR

4

There are thousands of ____________________________ people sleeping in the streets.

 

HOME

5

I bought a ____________________________ dress but its colours faded after I washed it.

 

COLOUR

6

I was fined because I was driving ____________________________ .

 

CARE

7

The directions you gave us were rather ____________________________, as we still got lost.

 

HELP

8

I am feeling quite ____________________________ because I didn’t get enough sleep last night.

 

SLEEP

9

I got into a business____________________________ with my cousin but it ended up being ____________________________.

 

PARTNER

SUCCESS

10

The musical performance was so ____________________________ that the audience gave the orchestra a standing ovation.

 

POWER

11

The witness’ statement didn’t help the police in the investigation, so it proved to be ____________________________ .

 

VALUE

12

The man was found ____________________________ of shoplifting and sentenced to one month in prison.

 

GUILT

13

He has ____________________________ completed his postgraduate studies.

 

SUCCESS

14

The new lazer treatment can extract teeth ____________________________ .

 

PAIN

15

It’s just a ____________________________ dog. There is no need to panic.

 

HARM

ANSWER KEY

1

beautifully

2

peaceful

3

championship/ sponsorship

4

homeless

5

colourful

6

carelessly

7

unhelpful

8

sleepy

9

partnership/ unsuccessful

10

powerful

11

valueless

12

guilty

13

successfully

14

painlessly

15

harmless

2 comments:

  1. mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site.
    วิธีแทงบอลสเต็ป

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments