Thursday 23 September 2021

UNIT 11 Adjective of Colour, Origin and Material TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 11

Adjective of Colour, Origin and Material

 

EXERCISE A

Underline the adjectives of material. Circle the adjectives of origin.


1

She is wearing leather shoes.

 

2

My mother bought me a cotton dress yesterday.

 

3

Is that a Japanese camera?

 

4

We spent our holiday in a Malay village near the sea.

 

5

Here are some photos of the Chinese temples we visited.

 

6

It's cold! I'm going to put on a woollen jumper.

 

7

I like that glass vase!

 

8

Have you ever tried Thai food?

 

9

We keep our umbrellas in a big, china pot near the door.

 

10

Marco Polo was an Italian explorer.

 

11

Can you make a paper plane that can fly?

 

12

Curry is a famous Indian meal. Mmm!

 

 

EXERCISE B

Underline 6 adjectives of colour and circle 6 adjectives of material.

 

Clothes


During the week I wear my school uniform. It is very smart. We wear white cotton shirts with blue ties. The girls wear black skirts. The boys wear black shorts. The skirt and shorts are worn with a smart leather belt. Both boys and girls wear short, cotton socks.

At weekends I can choose what I want to wear. Usually I wear my favourite blue cotton jeans with a pretty blouse. On special occasions I have a beautiful green silk dress. My mother bought it for me last year. My brother hates dressing-up. He usually wears denim jeans and T-shirts, but my father makes him wear a smart shirt and trousers for special days.

 

EXERCISE C

Fill in the gaps with the adjective of origin formed from the word in brackets..

Food from around the world

At school we are studying what we eat and where the food comes from. Our teacher makes it very interesting. Last week he brought in a mystery bag. There were twelve things inside it and we had to guess what they were and where they came from. lt was great fun.

He had brought a bar of (1) ____ (Switzerland) chocolate, a piece of (2) ____ (France) cheese, a packet of (3) ____ (Italy) spaghetti and a box of (4) ____ (Turkey) Delight. I like chocolate and I love spaghetti when my mother cooks it, but I didn't like the cheese or the sweets from Turkey. Our teacher also brought in some (5) ____ (England) tea, some (6) ____ (Brazil) coffee and some (7) ____ (Spain) wine. Of course, we didn't drink any of these. Then he showed us some (8) ____ (China) noodles, some (9) ____ (Greece) olives, some (10) ____ (India) mangoes, some (11) ____ (Japan) sushi and lastly, an (12) ____ (America) cheesecake that his wife had made for us. It was the best thing in the mystery bag! It was delicious!

ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments