Thursday 23 September 2021

UNIT 8 Possessive Pronouns and Possessive Adjectives TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

 

TOPICAL GRAMMAR PRACTICE

UNIT 8

Possessive Pronouns and Possessive Adjectives

 

EXERCISE A

Choose the correct possessive pronoun and write its number in the brackets.

 

1

The car belongs to my parents. lt's _______________.

(1)

their

(2)

them

(3)

theirs

(4)

they

2

The kitten belongs to Sally. It's _____________.

(1)

her

(2)

she

(3)

herself

(4)

hers

3

Paul is playing with some friends of _____________.

(1)

his

(2)

he

(3)

himself

(4)

him

4

An uncle of _____________ lives in Jakarta.

(1)

me

(2)

I

(3)

my

(4)

mine

5

Tom, are these books _____________?

(1)

yourself

(2)

yours

(3)

you

(4)

your

6

Those COs belong to Larry, but these are _____________.

(1)

we

(2)

us

(3)

ours

(4)

our

7

I'm not sharing my chocolate. It's all _____________.

(1)

mine

(2)

me

(3)

I

(4)

my

8

My T-shirt is blue but _____________ is red.

(1)

she

(2)

herself

(3)

her

(4)

hers

9

Who does this bicycle belong to?

It's Tom's. I'm sure it's_____________.

(1)

him

(2)

he

(3)

his

(4)

himself

10

Mr Baxter's apartment is big but _____________ is bigger.

(1)

ours

(2)

our

(3)

we

(4)

us

11

No, you can't take the puppy home! It belongs to Katy and Sue. It's_____________.

(1)

their

(2)

theirs

(3)

they

(4)

them

12

This isn't my football shirt, Jack. It must be_____________.

(1)

your

(2)

yourself

(3)

yours

(4)

you

 

EXERCISE B

Fill in the gaps with the correct possessive pronoun or possessive adjective in brackets.

 

Our world

(1) _________ (Our / Ours) world is a wonderful place but some people can be greedy. We must learn to share things and to be responsible. Things like water don't belong to us. It's not (2) _________ (your / yours) or (3) _________ (my / mine). We must be responsible. So, remember to turn the taps off properly and to have a shower rather than a bath. This saves water. And public spaces: they are not (4) _________ (our / ours). They are not (5) _________ (my / mine) or (6) _________ (your / yours). We must share them and behave responsibly. So, we must remember to throw (7) _________ (our / ours) litter into rubbish bins. When we're walking in the countryside, we must remember that the flowers and trees belong to everyone. So, we shouldn't pick big bunches of flowers to take home to (8) _________ (our / ours) mothers. The flowers are not really (9) _________ (her / hers). It's better to leave them in the ground so all visitors can enjoy them. And we should never cut words into tree trunks. The trees aren't (10) _________ (our / ours). They belong to everyone. So, we must all remember that the world belongs to us all. It's not yours or mine or his or (11) _________ (her / hers). It's (12) _________ (our / ours) and we all must look after it.

 

EXERCISE C

Fill in the gaps with the correct possessive pronoun or possessive adjective in brackets.

Two sisters

Once there were two sisters, Katy and Sue, who were always arguing.


Sue:

That's (1) ____ (my / mine) book. Give it back! It's (2) ____ (my / mine).

Katy:

No, it isn't (3) ____ (your / yours). It's (4) _____ (my / mine) book. I want it.

Sue:

Mum, Katy's got my book. She says it's (5) ____ (her / hers), but it isn't.

The girls' mother didn't know what to do. She told them to stop arguing but they didn't listen.

Katy:

Give me that game. It's (6) ____ (my / mine).

Sue:

No, it isn't. It's my game. Mum, it's not (7) ____ (her / hers), is it?

Mother:

Girls! Stop arguing at once.

Sue:

(8) ____ (My / Mine) homework is better than (9) ____ (your / yours). I got 9 out of 10.

Katy:

I got 9 out of 10 too, and (10) ____ (my / mine) teacher wrote 'well done' on it.

Sue:

Actually, she's (11) ____ (our / ours) teacher and she wrote 'well done' on (12) ____ (my / mine) too.

Then the girls' father came home. He was very angry. He went upstairs and took all of the books and games out of their bedroom. The girls were very upset and they promised not to argue ever again.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments