Tuesday 11 December 2018

Clothes (4) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
Clothes (4)

A
Clothes

B
Plural words
These words are always plural in English. They need a plural verb.

 

My suit is new but these trousers are old. Her jeans / shorts / tights are blue.
Note: You say: a pair of trousers / shorts / glasses, etc.
C
Verbs
You wear clothes but you carry things.
You wear glasses.
Naomi is wearing a long blue coat.
She’s carrying a suitcase and a handbag.
You can also say: Naomi has (got) a blue coat on.
You carry a bag and an umbrella.

In the morning you get dressed or put your clothes on. At night you get undressed or you take your clothes off.

Common mistakes
You put clothes on but you take clothes off [NOT put clothes off].

Tip
When you get dressed in the morning, say to yourself Now I’m putting on my socks. Now I’m
putting on my shoes and so on.

Exercises

4.1
Complete the sentences.
1. Joe has a job interview today, so he’s wearing a smart su___it___ , a white sh_____ and a t_____ .
2. Julia’s not working today, so she’s wearing a T-_____  and sh s_____.
3. Lucy is going to play tennis. She’s wearing white s_____s and tr_____s.
4. Gianni is going to a business meeting. He’s _____ing ab_____ with his papers and
laptop.
5. My trousers are too big. I have to wear a b_____ .
6. It’s cold today. I’ll wear my j_____ and I’ll take my c_____  too.
4.2
Match the item of clothing with the part of the body.
scarf   belt   shoe   hat   glove   glasses   tights   ring

4.3
Complete the sentences with one of the verbs in the box and put it in the right form.

be   wear   carry   have

1. Tim’s jeans __are___ blue and his T-shirt ______ red.
2. Julia ______ jeans and a T-shirt today.
3. Meena ______ got a red coat on and she ______ some flowers.
4. Sarah’s dress ______ old but her shoes ______ new.
5. Last year Harry’s trousers ______ white. Now they ______ grey.
6. this ______ a new pair of jeans?
7. My favourite pyjamas ______ dark green.
8. Kim ______ a new pair of shorts.
4.4
Label the picture

4.5
Complete the verbs in the table
morning
night
get ____dressed ­­_____
get _______
or _______ your clothes on.
or _______ your clothes off
4.6
What are you wearing today? Use a dictionary to help you.

I’m wearing a white T-shirt and a blue jumper. I’ve got a pair of black trousers on. I’m wearing blue socks and white trainers. I’ve also got a watch and a pair of glasses on.

ANSWER KEY


 






No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments