Wednesday 19 December 2018

Conversation 2: Useful words and expressions (9) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
Conversation 2: Useful words and expressions (9)

A
word
example
meaning
actually
People say bad things about her, but she’s actually very nice.
in reality
really
The book is really good.
very
else
Do you want to buy anything else? Or go somewhere else?
in addition or different
around
I’ll meet you at around 6 o’clock.
about or approximately
anyway
I’ll drive you home. I’m going that way anyway.1
Anyway, as I said, I woke up very late today.2
1 to give a reason for doing
something
2to return to an earlier subject
Common mistakes
Actually is a false friend in some languages - in English it means ‘in reality’ NOT ‘now’.
Words
B
Expressions
A: Why don’t we go to the cinema this evening? (used to make a suggestion)
B: Good idea. Let’s go and see a film and then have a meal. (used to make a suggestion)
A: OK! Which film do you want to see?
B: I don’t mind. [It’s all the same to me.] It’s up to you. [You can decide.]
A: How about / What about the new Angelina Jolie film? (used to make a suggestion)

Common mistakes
Why don’t we go[NOT Why don’t we going] or Let’s go … [NOT Let’s going].
How about going[NOT How about go] or What about going … [NOT What about go].

A: I was late for work today.
B: Oh dear! Was your boss angry? (used when you are surprised or disappointed)
A: I forgot to bring your book!
B: Oh, it doesn’t matter. I don’t need it. [it’s not important]
A: I’m sorry, but I can’t come to your party.
B: What a pity! (used when you are disappointed)
A: I passed my exam.
B: Well done!
A: Hurry up! The taxi’s here. [be quick]
A: Look out! / Be careful! There’s a car coming.
A: We need to buy Marta’s birthday present.
B: Absolutely! What about getting her a scarf? (used when you agree strongly)
A: I agree. Let’s go shopping this afternoon.

Common mistakes
I agree or I don’t agree [NOT I am agree or I’m not agree].



Exercises
9.1
Choose a word from A opposite to complete the sentences.
1 It’s boring here. Let’s go somewhere __else_____
2 There were ____________ 20 people at the lecture.
3 It’s a ____________ lovely photo!
4 Have you had enough to eat? Would you like anything ____________ ?
5 He said he was a doctor but he’s ____________ still a medical student.
6 The journey takes ____________ two hours.
9.2
Choose the correct answer.
1 I don’t like skiing and about / anyway / else I’m not free that weekend.
2 I don’t mind / matter / agree what we do. It’s all the same to me.
3 It’s up to you / Let’s / I agree invite Rachel to dinner tonight.
4 Be careful / What a pity / Oh dear in London. There’s lots of traffic there.
5 I don’t have time to go to the cinema and really / absolutely / anyway I’ve seen that film already.
9.3
Choose an expression from the box to fit these situations.
Well done!                 Oh dear!                   What a pity!
Hurry up!                        It’s up to you.                  Look out!
 

9.4
Correct the eight mistakes in the dialogue.
VERA: We need to celebrate. I got a new job!
LUKE: Well made! done
How about go out for a meal this evening?
VERA: Great! Let go to that Italian restaurant. Or do you prefer the Chinese one?
LUKE: I don’t mind it. I like the Italian one but it’s very expensive.
VERA: Oh, it isn’t matter.
LUKE: OK. Why don’t we going to the Italian restaurant and then we could go to the cinema afterwards? Your new job needs a special celebration.
VERA: I’m agree. And I’d love to see that film with George Clooney. Would you?
LUKE: Absolute!

ANSWER KEY















                   












No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments