Wednesday 12 December 2018

Feelings (7) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
Feelings (7)

A
Love, like and hate


I love my family and my best friend.
I like my job.
I don’t like horror films.
I hate spiders.
B
Happy, sad and tired

 

Common mistakes
I am very happy about your news [NOT I am very happy for your news]. BUT You did very well in your exam – I’m very happy for you.
C
Prefer, hope and want

I prefer coffee to tea. (= I like coffee more than I like tea.)
I hope to do well in my exam.
I hope (that) my friend does well in his exam.
I want a new car. [I would like]
I want to buy a new car.
Note: I want my mother to buy a new car.

Common mistakes
I want you to help me [NOT I want that you help me].
D
Expressions

A Do you like football?
B Yes, I really like football / it.
No, I don’t like football / it very much.
A How’s your grandfather?
B He’s very well, thanks.
A And how about your grandmother?
B She’s a bit / a little tired.

Common mistakes
[NOT I very like football / it. Or I like very much football / it.]

Exercises
7.1
Do you love, like, not like or hate these things? Write sentences.
1
chocolate I love chocolate.
5
football
2
cowboy films
6
cats
3
flying
7
cars
4
tea
8
Jazz music
7.2
Which do you prefer? Write answers.
1
tea or coffee?   I prefer coffee to tea.
4
cars or bikes?
2
dogs or cats?
5
strawberry or chocolate ice cream?
3
sunbathing or sightseeing?
6
watching sport or doing sport?
7.3
Answer these questions using want or hope.
1 You’re thirsty. What do you want? I want glass of water.
2 The lesson feels very long. What do you hope?
3 You’re hungry. What do you want?
4 Your friend feels ill. What do you hope?
5 You’re tired. What do you want to do?
6 You’re upset. What do you want to do?
7 It’s very cold weather. What do you hope?
8 Your friend feels sad. What do you want?
7.4
Look at the pictures. How do the people feel? Use words from B opposite.
 
7.5
Correct the mistakes.
1 I very like basketball. I like basketball very much.
2 I am happy for my sister’s good news.
3 The teacher wants that we learn these new words.
4 I like really spiders.
5 My brother has a good new job. I’m very happy about him.
6 My parents want that I go to university.
7 I feel very well. How for you?
8 Priya is bit tired this morning.

Over to you
When did you last feel …
1 surprised      2 hungry     3 tired      4 angry
I felt surprised yesterday when I saw the news.

ANSWER KEY

 











                   












No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments