Tuesday 11 December 2018

Health and illness (6) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
Health and illness (6)

A
How are you today?

I’m very well, thanks.
I’m fine, thanks.
I don’t feel very well. I must go home and rest. (I’ll probably be OK tomorrow.)
I feel ill. Can you get a doctor, please? (Perhaps it’s a serious problem.)
That fish was bad. I think I’m going to be sick! (I want to vomit.)
B
Everyday problems

Have you got an aspirin? I’ve got a headache. /'hede k/
I’ve got toothache. /ˈtuːθeɪk/ I need to go to the dentist.
vI’m going to bed with a hot drink. I’ve got a cold.
C
Problems people have for many years / all their lives

I get hay fever every summer, from flowers and grass. I sneeze all day. /sniːz/
My little brother has asthma; sometimes he can’t breathe. /ˈæsmə/
D
Illnesses in hot / tropical countries

In some countries, mosquitoes can give people
malaria. /məˈleərɪə/
The drinking water was bad, and many children
had cholera. /ˈkɒlərə/

E
Serious illnesses

Every year cancer kills many people who smoke. /ˈkænsə/
My father went to hospital when he had a heart attack.

Common mistakes
My father had a heart attack
[NOT got a heart attack].
F
Expressions

A Do you have a healthy diet?
B Yes, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
A Do you exercise?
B Yes, I like swimming, jogging and cycling. They’re really good for you.
A I feel stressed
B Do you? You need to relax more and don’t panic about work!

Exercises

6.1
Complete the dialogues.

1 A: How are you today?
B: very well, thanks _____
A: Good!
2 A: Are you OK?
B: No, _________________________
A: Would you like to use the bathroom?
B: Yes, thank you.
3 A: I _________________________
B: I’ll get a doctor.
A: Oh, thank you.
4 A: _________________________
B: Here’s the dentist’s phone number.
A: Thanks.
5 A: Your nose is red. Have you got _________________________?
B: Yes.
A: Have a hot drink and go to bed early.
6.2
Match the illnesses in the table with a possible treatment.
go to the dentist   take an aspirin    go to hospital   go to bed with a hot drink

illness
treatment
a headache
take an aspirin
toothache

a heart attack

a cold

6.3
What illnesses are connected with …

1 a mosquito bite? malaria
2 bad drinking water?
3 pollution, traffic fumes, etc.?
4 grass, flowers, sunshine, etc.?
5 smoking, unhealthy diet, no exercise?
6.4
Answer these questions. Use a dictionary to help you.

1 Do you have a healthy diet?
2 What exercise do you do?
3 Do you often feel stressed?
4 Have you ever been in hospital?
5 Do you get hay fever in summer?


ANSWER KEY










                   












No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments