Thursday 20 December 2018

COMMUNICATIONS (16) ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)


ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE (ELEMENTARY)
COMMUNICATIONS (16)

A
Letters

Don’t forget to put a stamp on the envelope.
Don’t forget to post the letters.
B
Email and Internet

 
Olivia gets a lot of emails from New York.
You have to be careful what information you give people online.
What’s your email address? Moll@cup.com (= Moll at C-U-P dot com /kÉ’m/)
C
Telephones and mobile devices

Juan makes a lot of phone calls. He phones his girlfriend every day. I always take my smartphone with me. I never turn it off. What’s your phone number? What’s your mobile number? 066530718 (= oh six six five three oh seven one eight / oh double six five ...) He’s not answering his phone. I’ll leave a voicemail and I’ll text him / send him a text (message).

D
Expressions
Sue: Hello.
Nick: Hello. It’s Nick here. Can I speak to Ahmed, please?
Sue: I’m sorry, he’s not here at the moment. Can I take a message?
Nick: Thanks. Could you just tell him I called. I’ll call back later.
Sue: OK. I’ll tell him. Goodbye. in English.
Nick: Bye.

Tip
Use a search engine to find an example of a letter and an email in English. Write down any useful words or phrases in them.


Exercises
16.1
Have you got any of the things on the opposite page? Make a list.
mobile
16.2
What are the names of these things?
16.3
Complete this phone conversation.
AMELIA: Hello.
MEENA: Hello. 1 ____It’s_______Meena here. Can I 2 ___________ to Amal, please?
AMELIA: I’m 3 ___________, he’s at work 4 ___________ the moment. Can I 5 ___________ a message?
MEENA: It’s all right. I’ll 6 ___________back later.
AMELIA: OK, then. Bye.
MEENA: Bye.
16.4
Write down:

1 two telephone numbers that are important to you.
____________________________________   ____________________________________

2 two email addresses that are important to you

____________________________________   ____________________________________
Now read them aloud.
16.5
Answer these questions.

1 Do you prefer to text or phone your friends?
2 Do you send more emails or more text messages?
3 How often do you go online?
4 Do you prefer to use a laptop or a mobile device?
5 Do you often write letters?

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments