Monday 29 November 2021

UNIT 13 SECTION 1 (D) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 13 SECTION 1 (D)

 

Grammar Revision (Unreal Past)

Complete the blanks with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

CAMPING

Camping can be seen as an alternative to taking a holiday in a five-star hotel. Here are some people’s views on this form of holiday making.

"When it comes to camping, I wish (1) _____________________ (make) something clear. I am not a fan! I’ve only been camping once, and it was a horrific experience. I’d rather (2)_________________ (not go) at all. Last summer my friends insisted that I go with them. I was reluctant at first, but I ended up going. I wish I (3) _________________ (trust) my instincts. Our first mistake was to set off without listening to the weather forecast. Well, two days later it started to rain so heavily that our tents somehow flooded! We had taken so many things with us that it took hours to pack up and leave. It was as if we (4) _____________________ (take) half of Selfridges with us! It was awful, and on top of that, I caught a cold. If only I (5) _____________________ (know) better! Camping is not for me. I prefer (6)_________________ (stay) in a cosy hotel room and relax rather than (7)_________________ (pitch) a tent.”

Wayne King, 23

“I really don’t mind camping, that is, if it’s in a well-organised campsite. You see, it’s a matter of safety. Supposing I (8)_______________ (get) injured and (9)_______________ .(be alone out in the mountains, what would I do? I hear some people talking about camping as though it (10)_________________ (be ? chance to endure hardship. It’s a holiday, for Pete’s sake!”

Kelly Sutherland, 28

“I really enjoy camping. It gives you a chance to become one with nature and live the way you were meant to live. If only I (11)_________________ (get away) more often! Most people, though, would rather (12)_________________ (spend) their holiday at a luxurious resort with swimming pools and the lot. But it’s about time they (13)________________ (realise) how important it is to experience the freedom camping has to offer. There’s one more thing I would like to point out. I wish people who actually go camping (14)_________________ (not leave) their rubbish behind when they pack up their tents and go home. I mean, if we all (15)_________________ (do) the same, our world would become a huge rubbish tip!”

Ben Cosworth, 18

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS PART 

ANSWER KEY

1

to make

2

not have gone

3

had trusted

4

had taken

5

had known

6

to stay

7

pitch

8

got

9

was/were

10

were/was

11

could get away

12

spend

13

realised

14

wouldn’t/ didn’t leave

15

did

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments