Friday 12 November 2021

UNIT 8 SECTION 1 (C) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 8 SECTION 1 (C)

 

Phrasal Verbs

Read the sentences on the left and match the phrasal verbs with their correct number in the box next to each definition.

A. PUT

1

Even though it was summer, I still needed to put on a jumper at night

 

devote to

2

Jane shouldn't have to put up with that noisy class.

 

wear

3

We will have to put off the barbecue if the rain continues

 

save

4

Why must you put yourself through all this stress?

 

suffer

5

The students were told to put away their books and clear their desks.

 

postpone

6

I put money aside every month, so that I would have enough for my summer holidays.

 

extinguish

7

Jason put on a lot of weight over the summer break.

 

offer hospitality to

8

The man I was sitting next to asked me to put out my cigarette.

 

tolerate

9

I was more than happy to put my friend up for the summer.

 

gain

10

Just a minute, sir. I'll put you through to Mr Jones.

 

put sth in its usual place

11

I have put a lot of work into this project.

 

connect by telephone

 

B LAY, SET, SETTLE

1

As soon as the new teacher introduced herself, she laid down her rules.

 

establish, create

2

We have laid out the garden. It should look beautiful in spring.

 

state, establish

3

The stall was set up and ready for business.

 

start living a quiet life in a place

4

After years of living with friends, Geoffrey decided it was time to set up a home of his own

 

delay

5

The group set off/out early in the morning to climb the treacherous peak.

 

begin a journey

6

I set out this morning to clean the garden but was interrupted by the rain.

 

start doing sth

7

Technical problems set us back two weeks.

 

become used to

8

It took Jill months to settle into her new home.

 

make the necessary preparations for sth to start

9

Carl was not the type to settle down, so his announcement that he was going to marry soon took everyone by surprise.

 

plan and arrange how sth should appear

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS PART 

ANSWER KEY

A


B


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments