Tuesday 30 November 2021

UNIT 14 SECTION 2 (A) Use of English B2 for all exams

 

Use of English B2 for all exams

UNIT 14 SECTION 2 (A)

 

Words easily confused

Use the correct form of the words in the boxes to complete the sentences in each group A -H below. You may use some of the words more than once. In some cases, more than one word may be correct.

A

like

alike

unlike

likely

as

same

similar

common

 

1

It’s very ___________________ to see people asleep on the train when travelling to work. When I'm tired I do the ___________________.

2

My cousin John looks just ___________________ his father. They even have. ___________________ habits.

3

Jonathan is very polite ___________________ his brother who is really rude.

4

Dora and Mary look ___________________ and often I can't tell one from the other.

5

He's as white ___________________ a ghost. It's very___________________ that he is going to faint.

6

They are ___________________ to be late, so let’s start eating dinner.

B

suit

fit

match

combine

compare

 

1

You must ___________________ strength with will-power to become a successful weightlifter.

2

The red tie doesn't ___________________ you and it doesn't___________________ your clothes either.

3

My trainers are too small and don't. ___________________ me anymore.

4

You can’t ___________________ a Ferrari to an ordinary car.

C

punctual

accurate

correct

exact

sharp

 

1

The ___________________ answer to the maths problem is 2.43 not 2.53.

2

Be here at 8 o’clock ___________________, otherwise I'll leave without you.

3

Barometers are the most. ___________________ way of measuring atmospheric pressure.

4

Jason is a very ___________________ person. He is never late.

5

The ___________________ distance from Burwood to the city centre is 17.4 km.

D

remain

reveal

review

revise

relieve

release

 

1

The journalist wouldn't _______________ her source no matter how much pressure I put on her.

2

My family were _______________ to hear that my grandfather’s operation went well. He then had to _______________ in hospital for four weeks before he could be _______________.

3

We had to _______________ all ten units for the maths test.

4

My editor asked me to _______________ a new play by John Astor.

5

The ‘New Rockers’ have _______________ their new album and the reviews have been excellent so far.

E

outcome

outdoor

outfit

outlet

outsider

 

1

Bullfighting is fought in an _______________ arena.

2

I bought an expensive _______________ for the awards ceremony.

3

When Beth moved to her new school, she felt like an ________________________until she became friends with a few girls.

4

The factory _______________ sells shoes at cost price.

5

The _______________ of the match was in favour of the home team.

F

perfect

ideal

fine

thorough

detailed

definite

certain

particular

special

sure

 

1

My ________________________weight is 54 kilograms. At the moment I'm 61 kilograms, so I'm going on a diet.

2

The doctor gave her patient a(n)________________________check-up once a year.

3

My supervisor asked for a(n)________________________report concerning the new project we were doing.

4

This mirror will be ________________________for our entrance hall. I'm _________________________it will fit on the wall opposite the door.

5

I need a(n)________________________answer by tomorrow because I want to know for _________________________how many people are coming to the restaurant.

6

The weather tomorrow will be ________________________with a light breeze from the North.

7

The supermarket had a ________________________offer on a(n )_________________________brand of spaghetti that was very tasty.

G

stand

resist

tolerate

suffer

 

1

I don't like people who lie and cheat. I will not ________________________ such behaviour.

2

Many people ________________________ from allergies in spring.

3

I can't ________________________ chocolate cake when I see it in front of me.

4

I couldn't bear to watch my cat ________________________, so I asked the vet to put him down.

5

Kate can't ________________________ milk and never drinks it.

H

offer

provide

supply

cater

 

1

Peter ________________________ to take me home since it was raining.

2

Does this restaurant ________________________ for vegetarians?

3

The airline ________________________ lunch for the passengers of the delayed flight.

4

They ________________________ us home-made cookies.

5

The injured climbers were ________________________ with food and water until help arrived.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PREVIOUS PART 

ANSWER KEY

A

1

common

same

2

like

similar

3

unlike

4

alike

5

as

likely

6

likely

B

1

combine

2

suit

match

3

fit

4

compare

C

1

correct

2

sharp

3

accurate

4

punctual

5

exact

D

1

reveal

2

relieved

remain

released

3

revise

4

review

5

released

E

1

outdoor

2

outfit

3

outsider

4

outlet

5

outcome

F

1

ideal

2

thorough

3

detailed

4

perfect/ideal

certain/sure

5

definite

sure

6

fine

7

special

particular

G

1

tolerate

2

suffer

3

resist

4

suffer

5

stand

H

1

offered

2

cater

3

provided/offered

4

offered

5

supplied/provided

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments