Thursday 30 January 2020

3. COMPOUND NOUNS CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
3. COMPOUND NOUNS

A compound noun is a combination of two words which function as a single noun.

Ø  Some compound nouns can be written as one word. e.g., headache (head + ache).
Ø  Some compound nouns can be joined using a hyphen (-). e.g., half-brother.
Ø  Some compound nouns must be written as two words. e.g., television set.

There are no rules to tell us how a compound noun should be written. We have to learn each one individually.

Task 1. Join one word on A with one word on the B to make compound nouns. In some cases, more than one combination is possible.

A
air
airline
book
fairy
food
football
hair
home
income
moon
parking
police
question
race
shoe
stamp
sun
table
traffic
time
tooth
water



B
basin
boots
case
collection
dryer
glasses
laces
light
lights
mark
meter
paste
pilot
poisoning
pollution
relations
station
story
table
tax
tennis
work



Task 2. Use the compound nouns above to complete the following sentences. You may need to change the forms of some of the words.

1
When I was young, my parents used to tell me ________ about witches and giants and other strange creatures.
2
We had to wait for the ________ to turn green before we were able to continue.
3
Don't leave this plant in the shade; it needs lots of ________.
4
In my home city, there is a lot of bad ________ as a result of the large number of cars and industrial factories.
5
________ in my city are very bad. There are often fights between black and white youths.
6
The more money you earn, the more ________ you have to pay to the government.
7
On my last holiday, I had terrible ________ as a consequence of eating some bad fish.
8
I tripped over my ________ and ended up with a broken arm.
9
Don't forget to put some money in the ________ or the traffic wardens will give you a ticket.
10
When does our train leave? Why don't you check the ________ .
11
I enjoy playing all ball games, but my favourite must be ________.
12
When you write a question, don't forget to put a ________ at the end of the sentence.
13
I enjoy my English lessons, but sometimes our teacher gives us too much ________.
14
I've got a huge ________. I started it when I was six. My favourite comes from an island in the South Pacific.
15
We could see the path in front of us clearly in the ________, although everything else around us was dark.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments